suggestions for a reading bright spot light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Wife is having trouble sewing and reading at night ! ( yes shes been to specsavers)

Any suggestions for a bright spot light so it does not disturb rest of family ?

Sponsored Links
I have used GU10 spot lights either side of the bed. Use 3 Watt and 5 Watt LED bulbs only reason for two sizes it's what B&M bargains had in stock. Used LED so as not to burn my hands when adjusting.

The wall fittings were complete with switch and centres of screws matched conduit boxes so I have conduit box fixed in wall giving loads of room for cables. I rarely use the built in switch I have two sets of switches either side of the bed one intermediate and one two way each with two switches. At the door is a triple two way switch. So at bed I can switch main light or that sides reading lamp and door can switch all so I can sneak to using reading lamp if I want.

The GU10 lamp comes with both different powers and angles of beam. I have used 35W quartz very bright but bulb very hot so burn hazard. I tried a cold cathode 11W worked well to start with but slowly went dimmer and dimmer. Tried an early 1W LED darn thing would not fit holder. The got some 0.58W LED these were too dim I could only just read with them. 3W is great and 5W a little too bright. The lamp is around 3 foot from book. I could not mount exactly where I wanted as the flue brick is behind bed clearly do not want to drill into that.

I have used GU10 else where as well on reading lamps in living room and two silly ikea lamps my wife bought so I find it so easy to swap lamps the 1W lamp which did not fit in bedroom is still used in a reading lamp.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back