not so bright in the bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a new bathroom installation and the lights are nice and bright for most times of day, but not for winter mornings and the middle of the night when I only want low level lighting.
Does anyone have any suggestions for how to achieve two levels of lighting in that bathroom? :idea:
I have seen the dimpull switch, but this makes you put the lights on at full power before you can dim, and by that time my night vision is completely shot!
Thanks

Sponsored Links
1) multiple switching circuits, so that you can turn some lights on and not others.

2) add wall lights on their own switch

3) ordinary dimmer switch outside the room, or inside if it's big enough.

how about two pull cords one of which is wired in series with a hidden dimmer (in the roof space)?

another possibility:
[code:1]
L--.----------------one way switch
| |
two way switch--lamp group 2---|
| |
| |
N----lamp group 1--------------'
[/code:1]

this allows you to have all lights full brightness half the lights full brightness or all the lights at 1/4 brightness

how it works is left as an excercise for the reader

Thanks for the ideas. I think I will investigate the second pull cord idea as that means I don't have to mess with the tiles to put extra lights up and I can also adjust how bright the dim setting is.

R

Sponsored Links
You could swap the current bulbs for low energy ones - these start out dim and slowly get brighter over a minute or so. The ones that look like normal lightbulbs seem to start dimmest.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back