Bathroom lights keep dimming

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know why my bathroom lights would keep dimming and then going back to full brightness? It happens all the time. Doesn't appear to be any loose connections on the light fittings and they are more than a metre away from taps etc.

We have two lights- one ceiling- which is earthed and the other a spot light on the wall which has a plastic back and no need for an earth wire.

Sponsored Links
Assuming your not closing your eyes, there must be a loose connection.
This should be investigated at once as if not there is a serious chance of fire from overheated connections.
Do not assume its ok just because it starts to work!

Thanks for this- :eek: I know I wired the lights correctly in the bathroom, but perhaps there may be a loose connection in the loft where the light connector is? I'll have a look. :oops:

Qedelec said:
Assuming your not closing your eyes, there must be a loose connection.
This should be investigated at once as if not there is a serious chance of fire from overheated connections.
Do not assume its ok just because it starts to work!

It could be a few reasons, a loose wire is likely, but maybe a failing breaker which fails when the bathroom lights go on, or it may be a problem with the supply to the house.

Sponsored Links
mattbirk said:
Does anyone know why my bathroom lights would keep dimming and then going back to full brightness? It happens all the time. Doesn't appear to be any loose connections on the light fittings and they are more than a metre away from taps etc.

We have two lights- one ceiling- which is earthed and the other a spot light on the wall which has a plastic back and no need for an earth wire.

you wouldnt happen to be using something high powered when it happens? lights can sometimes dim a little when shower/cooker/hoover etc is on

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back