Why do my kitchen Spot Lights seem to fade in and out !!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 6 spot lights installed in my kitchen, on the mains and operated via a dimmer switch (fitted by a professional electrician), and the lights seems to fade in and out periodically. They will light up when switched on, then after a while fade a little, then after a while light up again. They never go out fully, but just drop down a little before returning to full brightness.

Does anyone have any ideas why this may be ?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
possibly the dimmer?

Do you have electric heating or use an immersion heater?

Do you live in a rural or an urban area?

We live in a little village, between 2 towns ... and do get the odd power cut, so wasn't sure whether it could be down to power surges ... but this seems unlikely as the spots in my dining room seem to be fine ...

We also have an immersion heater

Thanks

I have 6 spot lights installed in my kitchen, on the mains and operated via a dimmer switch (fitted by a professional electrician), and the lights seems to fade in and out periodically.

Some (all?) dimmers seem to accentuate any mains voltage variations caused by either yours or other users load variations.

Frank

Sponsored Links
Some 'intelligent' dimmers have an overload feature that will give this effect.

What is the dimmer rated at (it will be written on the back and say something like 250VA) turn off the power before you remove the switch plate
also
what are the wattage of the 6 lamps
also
are they 12v or mains lamps. If 12volt, how many transformers are there?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back