Suggestions for boxing in these pipes?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had a lot of old rubber pipes replaced with copper. There used to be a cupboard on this wall that covered the pipes and the air brick but it was water damaged so it has gone. We're planning to get the kitchen redone next year sometime but I'd like to cover these up and put up a temporary storage solution in the meantime.

Any suggestions for the design? The main sticking point is whether I build something that just comes to the edge of the air brick, or whether I cover it behind the boxing. Some previous person filled it in with silicone, presumably when they installed cavity insulation, so it isn't doing much for ventilation right now. Also I'm not sure whether I should patch the hole in the ceiling first or build the boxing first.

Attachments

• IMG20230904124007.jpg
    IMG20230904124007.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 78
Sponsored Links
Not to do with the boxing itself but if you plan on permanently boxing that lot in you’ll need to swap the poorly fitted junction box that is there now for one that is classed as maintenance free

It's understanding why the HL air vent (it's not an air brick) was there to start with, was there an appliance in the room that needed extra ventilation but is long gone? If the room no longer has any other appliance that needs extra ventilation then the vent is no longer required and it could be removed, making the whole process easier.

The cabling could be chased into the wall using a proper connector and then the pipework could use a neat and tidy pipe cover, say one from Talon (others will be available) that would neatly cover the pipework

1693905727427.png

Repair the ceiling anyway, the pipe covering would then run up to that

Not to do with the boxing itself but if you plan on permanently boxing that lot in you’ll need to swap the poorly fitted junction box that is there now for one that is classed as maintenance free

It's only temporary until we get the whole kitchen gutted and the electrics upgraded. It will have to wait until next summer though most likely.

Sponsored Links
There would have been a coal fire in the front room next to the kitchen originally but I presume the cooker was gas. We still have a gas cooker but the coal fire is long gone. I'm not going to chase in cables or remove the vent until I get the major works done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back