Suggestions for levelling a concrete hearth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi!

I have recently had a rotten timber floor replaced. Most of the joists are new, but some were holding up a concrete hearth slab. So the builders put new joists alongside the old ones to save having to mess with the hearth.

18mm thick marine ply was put on the joists, and is level. The problem is that the top of the hearth meets the top of the ply on one side, but it's about 20mm lower on the other side. Basically the original hearth was nowhere near level (it hasn't moved.)

So, hopefully you can picure the scene. It's basically a wedge shaped gap that needs to be filled. Feathering to nothing on one side.

I'm thinking of using self-levelling compound for this. But also wondered whether it would be possible to just use mortar (it would certainly be cheaper.) I have the advantage of a level area surround the job, so I will be able to use a long piece of wood to get it level.

BTW this is a subfloor on to which I will be later gluing solid oak flooring (using Sika T54 in case you are interested.)

Cheers,
Orval

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back