concrete hearth set into floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
in the kitchen we have an old fireplace - in front of the fireplace the old cement hearth has been taken out (the one in our living room is plush with the floorboards and i assume that the actual hearth was built on top of this 'cement' base?).

This base has been replaced with chip board some time in the past.

here's the hard part - how would i re-instate just concrete hearth base (aprox. 33cm x 114cm) so it's plush with the floorboards (18mm thick) but still strong enough to be walked on and not crack. (the joists are all present and correct - SIR!)

the only thing i can think of is fitting some sheet metal (1 or 2mm thick) and then applying a cement 'base' on top of it but is there an easier way?
how was it originally done?

anyone any other ideas??

ta vary muchly

Sponsored Links
king.module said:
This base has been replaced with chip board some time in the past.
Have you removed the chipboard ? You might find the main hearth which should be a 125mm thick concrete slab still underneath then finish off with a decorative hearth in slate, ceramic tiles, brick or stone

hi masona

yeah i removed the chipboard the other day to do a little plumbing - there is nothing under there :O(

This is how it should be;
fireplace.jpg

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back