Suggestions for new fence?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My fence is possibly getting on for 30 years old now, and is beginning to crumble, so I’m going to have to replace it. The wall has 5 fence sections like this in it, so there’s quite a lot to do…

At the moment, they’re kind of double-sided affairs – hopefully you can see it in the photo, but the outer face is curved at the top, while the inner one is flat, for some reason.

I’m assuming it has two faces so that it looks good from either side, but I’m not sure how important this is to me… would you just build single-sided frames, or go to all the bother of double-sided again?

Or any other, different suggestions?

Thanks as always :mrgreen:

20240106_143601.jpg

Sponsored Links
It is a "hit and miss" fence to keep the privacy but still to allow winds to pass through a bit, they tend to not blow over in storms.

Sponsored Links
Personally I'd make it good to the outer side.

Unless it's very windy and needs to be hit and miss style

I would replace the outside at the height of the inside straight fence and do it straight but cut a 45 degree corner where it reaches the brick piers

Did you move in originally cause I think what has happened is that the house builders put the curved top one in facing the street then an owner in the past has put up a second one but just attached planks to the curved ones horizontal battens/frame over the gaps so it is not a "hit and miss" fence as such
Thoughts are - are you actually allowed to do anything with outside section

I would do the same again but straight. If you have the nice side facing your garden then the frame and middle section will be a good foothold for someone to climb over so doubling up with planks on both sides stops this and your property looks nice from the street too

Did you move in originally cause I think what has happened is that the house builders put the curved top one in facing the street then an owner in the past has put up a second one but just attached planks to the curved ones horizontal battens/frame over the gaps so it is not a "hit and miss" fence as such
Thoughts are - are you actually allowed to do anything with outside section
No, the house was built in 1994, but I didn't move in till 2017. However, other houses in the street have the same double-sided setup. Hhmmm hadn't thought whether Planning might have anything to say about a fence :unsure:
I would do the same again but straight. If you have the nice side facing your garden then the frame and middle section will be a good foothold for someone to climb over so doubling up with planks on both sides stops this and your property looks nice from the street too
Yes the more I think about it, I reckon straight is the way to go, and I'm not bothered about the nice side facing inwards.

One thign I have noticed is that one or two of the other houses have used fewer, wider timbers for replacements - like twice the width of mine, or more (must measure some of them) which might be less fiddly to do... but they have cut the top of each timber rounded rather than flat. Would this have to be done laboriously with my 35-year-old Black & Decker jigsaw, or is there an easier way?

Or a new, more powerful jigsaw... don't know much about them I have to say...

This is my old thing, bought in 1989 with my first house:

BD538SE Black Handled Corded 240V 350w​

jigsaw.jpg

It's given amazing service over the years, but struggles a bit with bigger jobs!

but they have cut the top of each timber rounded rather than flat.
roughly cut with a jigsaw then use a router with a ball bearing guide and clamp a template on (which you can use to pencil mark the shape for jigsawing

if you use a jigsaw to cut the rounds they will end up all wonky -as a jigsaw goes around a bend it naturally deflects and you end up with an angled wonky cut

roughly cut with a jigsaw then use a router with a ball bearing guide and clamp a template on (which you can use to pencil mark the shape for jigsawing

if you use a jigsaw to cut the rounds they will end up all wonky -as a jigsaw goes around a bend it naturally deflects and you end up with an angled wonky cut
Think I'll keep them straight!

You said crumbling.

Do you mean rot? What part?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back