Suggestions for new fence?

You said crumbling.

Do you mean rot? What part?
I'll have to go out and have a better look when it's light again, but I think mostly the tops of some of the planks have fallen away - but last time I looked, I think the wood felt soft and crumbly in places. If you're thinking is it repairable, hhmmm, maybe I should inspect it better... but certainly the paint is flaking off everywhere, so if I set out to replace some timbers, and paint everything else, I think it would be a hell of a job to scrape all the old paint off - let's see - 25 x 2 x 5 = 250 strips of wood :(

Sponsored Links
The end grain facing upward will always suffer rain penetration. A capping piece would help enormously.

Fence stain is not paint and does not need to be scraped off. You can blast off algae, moss and loose material with a pressure washer.

The end grain facing upward will always suffer rain penetration. A capping piece would help enormously.

Fence stain is not paint and does not need to be scraped off. You can blast off algae, moss and loose material with a pressure washer.
Thanks for that - I *think* the wood has actually been painted, but I'll have a proper look tomorrow... when you say "capping piece", do you mean this sort of thing?

1704648355589.png

That looks ideal.

I think I've seen some with a groove in the bottom, so water drips off.

Fence stain leaves a water-repellent waxy film. Once the gloss has weathered off it can be cleaned snd recoated. No sanding or scraping needed.

Sponsored Links
How does one maintain the finish on a hit-and-miss fence? I assumed you'd have to use a sprayer to get in the gaps but this could end up being really messy.

Big floppy paintbrush

I think your gaps are narrower than necessary. They only have to block line of sight.

BTW

As for capping

As you have two rows of uprights

If you position them level

You could put one board across both

It will be a much stronger fixing, and look better, and give good rain protection

Cats will like it

I use decking boards for lots of garden work.

Thanks for all the helpful comments and suggestions :mrgreen:

Having examined the different sections a bit more closely now, the timbers attaching at least a couple of them to the brickwork have rotted, so I think those entire sections would have to be replaced anyway... probably end up having to do the lot.

Depends on how much the wood is likely to cost me!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back