1 or 2 gravel boards on new fence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Me & my next door neighbour have decided to go halves on a new fence running down the back garden which is about 22m long. We've both opted for a 7ft fence as their side is a bit higher so it gives us both privacy (its a big garden so the high fence wont look out of place). I was happy to go with a 1ft gravel board and a 6 x 6 fence panel, however the neighbour insists on going for a double gravel board and a 5 x 6 fence panel as he says it will be stronger. The garden is well established so having an unsightly double gravel board doesn't bother me as I'll hardly see it but its extra cost and in my opinion isn't necessary. So the question is ...... single or double gravel board??

Thanks

Sponsored Links
6x6 will be plenty strong enough. 1 gravel board will be enough but if he wants two, ask him to pay for all the extra gravel boards.

you are restricted to 2m without the need for planning 1/3 the post should be in the ground certainly no less than 25% at a push iff well concreted in
what will the height be on the higher side ??

I think by the time the weight of 2 gravel boards and fence has been added I think a few inches will be lost in the ground so I might only be a couple of inches over the 2m. They have a kitchen extension with patio which is about 8 inch or so higher than my side. After the patio they are the same height

Sponsored Links
my neighbour's garden is about 6" below my garden so I buried a 12" concrete gravel board 1/2 in to give 6" on my side, plus a 5 foot panel but also 18" trellis on top
It mitigates the Berlin Wall effect.

You can paint concrete gravel boards and posts with masonry paint to blend in with the stained panels.

It will be cheaper when the time comes to replace the panels.

What the difference in price between the 5 and 6 foot panels?

if you're putting a lot of work and money into this fence, use concrete posts.

You will be mightily annoyed if you use wooden ones and have to dig them up in a few years when they rot.

Remember to include hedgehog highways at the corners.

I always fit 1 gravel board for any size upto 7ft height, any higher then I use extra gravel boards. Worth remembering though that 8ft requires planning permission. 2m is maximum height before planning needed.

If you're going to 7ft then 1 board will suffice, if correctly concreted in then 2 boards aren't needed. As previously stated, if you're neighbour wants 2 boards per panel get him to pay the extra for them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back