Suggestions pls for a temporary concrete drive way and cost

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have had an application for a dropped curb approved by the council and need to build my drive way before they do their part. Problem is, I will be undertaking major rennovation work on the house.

Rather than spoil any new block paved drive way, I was thinking of just getting a cheap temporary concrete drive put in (approx 3m wide 4m length). At present its just soil in that area and some layed on tiles.

Had a qute of about £1500 for this to be done (inc skip). I was told hardcore would be put down along with approx. 10cm / 4 inches of concrete.

Questions:
1) is this a fair price?
2) can the same concrete be used as a foundation when it comes to the block paving or will this need to be dug up again?
3) Is this the best way of doing what i am trying to achieve i.e. quick fix for the council to install the drive way but not choosing to put down block paving now in order not to spoil the drive due to skips, lorries etc going forward for the house rennovation?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
I'd just put down some crushed concrete for now, will compact down reasonably enough. Cheap and simple to dig any surplus back out to prep for block paving when you're ready.

How come you need to do your drive before the cross over is done?

I would prepare the drive ready for the permant finish, but stop at the type 1 MOT stage until building work has completed.

Laying concrete sounds like a waste of time and money to me.

Hi

When you say crushed concrete, you mean like hardcore? This loose material will surely just blow around or make a mess if a skip or car parks over it right?

Unfortunately, its a condition of the local council / Highways that they will only build the cross over once my drive is built so that they can match the foot path upto the drive entrance rather than leaving to the householder to do it the other way around.

What is type 1 MOT stage? I was told by a few people including the builder that they would not need to dig out the concrete again when we'e ready to block pave as they will slope it slight so that the highest part (pavement side) can be part chiseled out to take the depth of the block paving later.

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately, its a condition of the local council / Highways that they will only build the cross over once my drive is built so that they can match the foot path upto the drive entrance rather than leaving to the householder to do it the other way around.

Ask if it will be acceptable to them if you lay 150x150mm channel blocks flush to finish surface level along the boundary line and they can build pavement up to that, leaving your driveway unfinished.

Cheapest quick driveway over a predominantly grassy area is probably turf protection mesh
http://www.duratex.co.uk/outdoor-mats/73-grass-protection-mesh.html

You can claim it's eco friendly which is usually hard for councils to resist

Interesting idea but will still need decent support under that to take the weight info a car or skips / lorries etc.

Also night look a bit weird as part of a driveway.

If you put hardcore down and just leave it as-such, will the fines wash away when it rains in due time?

If you put hardcore down and just leave it as-such, will the fines wash away when it rains in due time?
To a degree yes, depending upon what you use.

If you go for MOT stone and compact it, then you will be left with a decent finish. Rainwater will only serve to help form a crust on the surface.

I had my drive dug out and filled with MOT type 1, it was left for 5 years before I had the blocks laid and I was parking on it with just the type 1 down.

Andy

From my understanding the council is saying that they employ a contractor that cannot/will not form a level finished edge at the boundary between yours and the council's property. So you have to build one instead.

You will not achieve that with a slapdash layer of hardcore. Putting 150 mm blocks at the boundary , and laying them properly will, and is a lot less time and effort than a full concreted drive. Anything else will risk your dropped curb not being level and your new drive looking pants when it's eventually built.

So you think I should at least put a few blocks down, at least near the join with the pavement and maybe leave the rest?

Yes. Pavement at edges should be set in concrete so look at pavingexpert.com for depth suggestions etc.

What is the definition of MOT? Only seems to bring back MOT test centres when I google it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back