Suitability For Cavity Wall Insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning! I'm wondering about getting cavity wall insulation and I don't know if my house will be suitable so if anyone can point me in the right direction....

The house was built around 1975 by my local council using a pre-fab design. Sometime in the 1980s the council built brick walls around the pre-fab shell to combat damp problems with the pre-fab and everything was sorted - so i should have a cavity between the pre-fab exterior wall and the brick wall interior (I think that's what I saw when I was putting my outdoor tap on!). Would it be possible to fill this gap with insulation as I've never heard of a two-walled house before! Also, as I'm in Scotland and everything in sight in pebble-dashed, how would they get the insulation in - would the drill holes in the render or go in by the side of the windows where it is un-rendered?

Thank you in advance, David

Sponsored Links
you sure its not insulated already David?

normally when the la is upgrading a prefab they would insulate as well.

Hi Alistair, I think their may be some insulation as when I drilled through to install the outdoor tap it appeared that their was some polystyrene attached to the inner face of the outer brick wall. I don't know how efficient this is alone and don't know if this is cavity wall insulation - I thought the cavity would be completely filled?

Sponsored Links
Before any firm installs CWI they will send a surveyor to determine whether or not the wall is suitable. Sometimes they will reuse to do it if the cavity is too small, or too much debris in it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back