Suitability of 'Surrey' Flange ('S' Type)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a gravity system (hot and cold) and looking to get the best out of it by fitting a water pump for the hot feed. The existing cylinder flange already looks to be an 'S' flange (conveniently) but does look to have too many adapter fittings making it too proud to be effective - or would it still be suitable to keep 'as is'?

Would like to fit a combined pump but not easily do-able without extending the cold pipe run by quite a bit - so are two seperate pumps an option?

Attachments

• IMG_0603.jpg
    IMG_0603.jpg
    303.6 KB · Views: 66
Sponsored Links
Any idea of the dip tube length?, it is best to have it mounted as close to the cylinder top as possible, (obviously), also important is to ensure the vent is rising continuously because if air is trapped it will only make matters worse as it will keep depressing the water level and allow air ingress to the dip tube.

Possibly stupid question, but does your cylinder not have a pump offtake tapping on the side?

That might be a surrey flange but as you say, it shouldn't be extended up out of the top of the cylinder like that. That has raised the dip tube up where it could now be drawing in air bubbles from the top of the cylinder.

First thing would be to get that all apart, see what you have and then go from there. You may be able to drop it down to where it really should be. As suggested though, presume there is no other tapping in the side of the cylinder?

Sponsored Links
Thanks all, there is no side outlet on the cylinder, I think I would have to take it from the Surrey Flange.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back