Suitable method for sound reduction on a large sash window?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have 6 of these sash windows in my apartment, and they used to have secondary glazing (approx 20 years old) installed, but this looked very poor aesthetically with harsh silver aluminium rims etc.. and made cleaning both the sash window and secondary glazing very difficult. It also made opening them to get out on the balcony more awkward than it should be.

Whilst the heat loss isn't a great issue, I would like a solution that reduces the sound that comes through. Would I be best placed just to get modern secondary glazing? Or is a piece of glass that acts as a 'door' feasible at that size? The full size of the window is approx 106cm x 260cm.

I am limited to an extent in that the property is grade 2 listed.

I had Ventrolla around to quote a few years ago, but their suggestions didnt really resolve the issue and were surprisingly expensive compared to others I tried.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Floob.

Sponsored Links
Here's one I read it whilst studying for my thesis, and this ones on acoustic research and other on sliding sash windows, a bit long winded, but very informative...pinenot :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back