Suitable morticer?

Hpd

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm going to attempt to build driveway gates for my new house, it's a project I've wanted to do for a while and I'm looking at a second hand morticer advertised locally. Could anyone advise me on whether this machine would be suitable to chisel mortices into 4x3" timber or is it not big enough etc?

Attachments

• IMG_3595.JPG
    IMG_3595.JPG
    219.5 KB · Views: 306
  • IMG_3621.PNG
    IMG_3621.PNG
    1.4 MB · Views: 299
Sponsored Links
I have the JET version of that which is rated for 13mm.
You'll need a 20mm chisel and larger machine.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, in a joinery newbie so could you explain a bit more about what I'll need?

Sponsored Links
I dont think that is a very rigid machine, but if its not much money, it would be worth a punt. Also perform is an Axminster brand so they may have spares.

The best bench top morticer was the Multico PM12, a solid cast machine.

A bench top mc wont do more than a 1/2"

No reason why you cant do a double row.

I dont think that is a very rigid machine, but if its not much money, it would be worth a punt. Also perform is an Axminster brand so they may have spares.

The best bench top morticer was the Multico PM12, a solid cast machine.

A bench top mc wont do more than a 1/2"

No reason why you cant do a double row.
Thanks. Do you think this machine would take a 4" timber? Any way of knowing without buying it and just trying?

It will almost certainly have over 100mm under the chisel.

Do through mortices from both sides, so you need a 60mm depth or so.

It will almost certainly have over 100mm under the chisel.

Do through mortices from both sides, so you need a 60mm depth or so.
Awesome this is the the info I was hoping to get! thanks very much

assuming your timber is around 94x68mm
your mortise will be between 33-40% off the total thickness so 25mm works well
you need to check the timber is exactly square where your mortises are if not your mortise will be wrong
set your twin pin gauge to say 25mm then when mortising or cutting the tennon leave half the mark in

Cutting the tenons will be more difficult with a double row of mortises. With a single tenon quite easy.
I'd drill the mortises out and finish off with a chisel.

Or... you could do a double row with the mortiser and cut them into one.;)

Last edited:
when you put the chisel in use a 1p to space the chisel off the housing
place the auger tight in and tighten
then loosen the chisel remove the penny and secure fully home

I know you'll not learn much from it and it's an expensive investment to start out with but you'll get your money back if you sell it on... Domino DF700. Easier, faster.

I know you'll not learn much from it and it's an expensive investment to start out with but you'll get your money back if you sell it on... Domino DF700. Easier, faster.
they are about £700 from memory are they not :rolleyes:

they are about £700 from memory are they not :rolleyes:

Closer to £1000 with a full kit new but you'll get one less second hand and you can sell for near enough if not even the amount you paid for it.

It's not here nor there tho, we both know any substantial sized hardwood gates would cost more than that before you put pen to paper if you were having them made third party.

Well any mortiser will make holes in timber. What you have to consider is the maximum size of chisel fixing; and the vertical travel - most will do around 3 to 4 inches.
What you also have to consider is how is the workpiece clamped to the table which the pictures do not show and the table movements - side to side and front to back. Without the workpeice to table clamp and table movements the machine really is a waste of money.

As others have said the maximum size of chisel is less important than the travel - to cut mortises in 4inch timber then 3inch vertical travel is needed (cause you cut from both sides). With a 1/2inch max chisel larger mortises are cut by doubling up on the number of runs. Actually that does ease the load on the tool anyway so it's not so important.

Do check to see if there is any 'slop' - side to side movement of the vertical carriage if there is you will never get accurate mortises which will reflect in the look of your joinery.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back