Suitable oven cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Looking for confirmation regarding instalation of a single electric cavity range with gas hob. I will be moving into new house next week and am unsure of the avbailable/installed wiring/sockets.

My main question is due to its relativley low consumption (2500w) am I right in fitting a 66 mm 2 core & earth cable or 2.5 mm 3 core heat resistant flex according to the wiring diagram on the back of the oven? Looks similar to plug wiring diagram so would prefer to do myself, just want to make sure its safe.

My old house poor wiring and its integrated oven was fitted to a standard 13 amp plug and gerneric wall socket is this safe with my new appliance/house?

Model Flavel FL95FRXP
Fuse protection: 13A (min.)
Cable size: 2m (max.)
Total electric consumption: 2500 W.

http://ao.com/product/FL95FRXP-Flavel-Dual-Fuel-Range-Cooker-Stainless-Steel-21699.aspx

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
The manufacturing instruction are a little contradictory as they state that no mains lead is provided with the appliance, then go on to say the moulded plug on this appliance incorporates a 13A fuse. So that's a puzzle to start with.

Anyhows if the appliance has a factory fitted plug then you will be okay to use the standard socket-out, for connection.

The MI states a min13A fuse required, so that would suggest you could if wanted, use a dedicated circuit.

If neither a dedicated circuit or socket-outlet are available, then this would obviously then require to be installed. Which can then get complexed regarding complying the regulations, so I would really recommend you employ a competent electrician to undertake this task for you. The standards would require the use of permitted safe zones and RCD protection, this would all need to be tested to prove it was safe, the testing would possibly require continuity, insulation resistance, polarity, Ze, Zs and RCD and PFC/PSSC not really something a DIYer normally has the equipment for and the knowledge of performing.

The MI states a min13A fuse required, so that would suggest you could if wanted, use a dedicated circuit.
It actually seems to say "Fuse Rating 13A" (not "13A minimum"). If that is the case, and one wanted to fully comply with the MIs, one presumably would have to include a 13A fuse, probably in an FCU, if it were connected to a dedicated circuit without a plug/socket?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.

I have lived in rented houses where electric overns are connected to standard sockets with 13 amp plugs, I just want to check that this is safe I a home I am buying.

Hope the image upload works, it looks like wiring a plug with a three core cable linked to FCU/13 amp fuse.

Is 2.5mm cable sufficient or should I go for 6mm thermal?

If its onto 13amp plug, this is suitable for a standard socket?

Sorry for questions, just want to be sure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back