Suitable pump for a DHW secondary circulation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know that bronze pumps are normally specified for DHW secondary circulation, but I recently noticed that what look that normal domestic heating pumps with plastic bodies are sometimes used for the secondary circulation on storage combis - e.g. the Saunier Duval Isomax.

Can anyone think of any reason why a plastic bodied heating pump shouldn't be used instead of an expensive bronze bodied DHW pump for a regular secondary circulation? If the bearings are ceramic (Grundfos?) and the shaft, can and rotor are enclosed in stainless steel, is there anything that could corrode?

Sponsored Links
Down to what's WRAS approved I imagine.
For years it's been possible to buy plastic bodies to bolt onto heating pumps for use in big fish tanks.

If the cost difference is the best part of £100 then I don't think anyone's going to give a fig whether WRAS approve it or not. Is there any practical reason why not? Also plastic bodied pumps can be ordered through suppliers like Antares.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back