Suitable screws/nails for 38*63 timber

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Soft studwork timber, 38*63, to be built into a fitted wardrobe. There are a bewildering array of screws and nails around and I don't know what's best.

Note:
> I do not have an impact driver, can't really afford to buy one either, but I do have a power drill which might work (would need a suitable bit, though).
> In theory I don't mind screwing by hand, if it will even work and get deep enough.

I'm going to building the frame(s) flat on the floor before lifting into place.
I feel like I should be drilling pilot holes if screwing, but in videos people usually don't bother, is this not risky?

Thanks for any info, please give as much detail as possible since I might not know what items you're referring to otherwise. The actual means of fixing wood together are often not mentioned in instructions and plans so I assume it's either "obvious" or just something everyone does differently.

Sponsored Links
You need a power drill will variable speed to be able to use as a screwdriver.
Screws are best, nails can distort/split the frame and any mistakes not as easy to rectify as removing a screw.
You will need a lot of elbow grease to fit by hand. ;)

You need a power drill will variable speed to be able to use as a screwdriver.
Screws are best, nails can distort/split the frame and any mistakes not as easy to rectify as removing a screw.
You will need a lot of elbow grease to fit by hand. ;)

Thanks, can you suggest any specific dimensions I'm supposed to use?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back