Sulphur/bad egg smell when running hot water!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Halstead Quattro Gold Combi boiler and when I run the shower first thing in the morning there is a strong sulphur smell in the kitchen! which is below the bathroom.

The bathroom waste pipe from the shower drains into an external sink drain as does downpipe water and the waste drain from the kitchen sink.

I have put drain cleaner through all the drains in the bathroom and kitchen.

The smell is most evident on the first shower of the day or after a period without use.

I have a magnetic descaler fitted to the rising main (Waterwave) and the hot water feed for the boiler is drawn through a heat exchanger in a solar heating system. I don't know if this is relevant but I guess too much information is better than the opposite.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
I am inclined to wonder if the smell of eggs is because Mrs Pontious is cooking them for breakfast?

There is nothing in the normal operation of your boiler that would produce that smell so I would recommend that you get it professionally checked and serviced in case there is any overheating or safety issue.

Tony

I expect that the smell comes from the gulley (outside drain) that accepts the waste flows from shower and sink. Perhaps the smell enters the kitchen via some ventilation opening or even a lack of water seal in the waste pipework from kitchen to drain.

Pontius said:
I have a Halstead Quattro Gold Combi boiler and when I run the shower first thing in the morning there is a strong sulphur smell............

The smell is most evident on the first shower of the day or after a period without use ................hot water feed for the boiler is drawn through a heat exchanger in a solar heating system. I don't know if this is relevant but I guess too much information is better than the opposite.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

hows does your heat exchanger work , does it contain any additives , pinhole ?

Sponsored Links
I don't know why I didn't think of my fry up being the cause of the smell Tony, your rare insight is a true inspiration. :rolleyes:

I don't think it can be the gully outside as this would give me a smell all the time or whenever water was run not just on certain occasions(also i checked this first and thouroughly cleaned and made certain it was sealed)

Ill have to check on the pinhole idea, there is an additive in the solar circuit. thanks...any more suggestions please?

Did you believe what that thief Zak told you?

I wonder if the shower trap/tray is leaking a bit, dampening the ceiling or summat and making it smell.
A bit like the way the Upper Classes' Tweeds smell of urine, in the rain, cos that's what's used as a mordant for the dyes...

mordant for the dyes :eek: Dripping behind the fly`s morelike :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back