Summer house and decking base

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've built a base for friend's summerhouse on higher ground then we're planning to build another one with the joists equally apart on lower ground. It's been pointed out to me that the joists (2inch by 4inch) are too far apart. Approximately 1 metre apart. Its 4m x 4m so 16 blocks.

How do we get round this? Joist hangers?
20200522_192428.jpg
20200607_140648.jpg

Sponsored Links
your decking looks a bit high it need planning permission if its higher 300mm above the ground level
is it less than 300 at the back ??

your decking looks a bit high it need planning permission if its higher 300mm above the ground level
is it less than 300 at the back ??

The joists on the higher ground are the base for a summer house. That's what is going on top.

Sponsored Links
I think the decking might be close to 30cm. I cant see my mate's neighbours caring less. It's s run down working class area full of foreigners (including my mate, who's Turkish).

Regarding the summer house they might care a bit more. I'll be sure to tell him. And thanks for the info for future jobs when I'm working for posh people.

Pretty much finished the decking on lower level. My friend bought himself some lights off ebay for it.

Couple of questions, the base wasn't square so on the right side (as in picture) it is different widths. Should we just widen the narrower end with joist hanger or cut a board with jigsaw (scribed in)?

Going to cover the gaps near wall with something too
20200713_101218.jpg
20200712_213418.jpg
20200712_214210.jpg
20200713_101400.jpg

You was told about it being off square,but choose to laugh it off,if i done that, i would hang my head in shame,and look for a job with Deliveroo or similar.:eek:

looks like you should have started at that side to get the boards square and avoid all those wedges
are they screwed down yet ?

looks like you should have started at that side to get the boards square and avoid all those wedges
are they screwed down yet ?
Yeah. Wouldn't a few joist hangers sort it with 6 inches of joist sti cking out. I told my mate to measure the diagonals when he was levelling the blocks

joist hanger to where ??
a joist hanger that just supports an end is a hinge ??
how much space do you have far end [the overhang to the other decking]??
my thought are a timber screwed at right angles to a point level to support a full board end
then an additional short joist stopping at the point coming forward to be within the width screwed to the joist
and a block/brick or whatever is required to support the joist in case off bounce

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back