Decking question ..New project and need to ask advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am building some decking to replace the disaster that was left behind by the previous owner.

This area has to be slightly higher that the stuff that is already there due to the ground, solid concrete and rocks which are all uneven so I can make it ground level.

The area is approx 3m x 4m...I plan to sink in 12 posts in total, 4 rows of 3. I plan to fix a length of 6x2 along the 4 rows, so these will be circa 1.3m apart. If I build on top it will be far too high, so I was going to use coach screws to fix beams at 400mm apart or use joist hangers in between joists...will this be strong enough? Or am I better to notch the wood out, which is a load more work?

Sponsored Links
No need to notch it, it way over the top.

Set your posts and leave them sticking up a bit into the air and then simply screw or coach bolt your joists to the side of them then cut the posts off flush with the frame. As for joists no need for hangers simply a few long screws through each end will be fine.

No need to notch it, it way over the top.

Set your posts and leave them sticking up a bit into the air and then simply screw or coach bolt your joists to the side of them then cut the posts off flush with the frame. As for joists no need for hangers simply a few long screws through each end will be fine.

smashing stuff!! Cheers matey!

Sponsored Links
i set in concrete spurs, and simply bolted to these.... bolts are fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back