My Raised Deck

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hie all Hie all am pretty new to this forum and I intend building a deck. To be honest I was told to build by the other half lol.
As you guys can see the area I need to build the deck on is made up of clay and gets pretty wet,as the drainage is p**s poor.
The decking area will be 3.6mx3.3m and I intend to create a raised deck about 25cm off the ground.
I have bought some BnQ reversible decking 3.6m lengths
I intend to build the frame using 9x 4x4 posts on which I will put 3x 6x2 joists as beams and for the remaining two sides of the rectangle I shall use 4x2 joists.
Across this frame I shall use 4x joists at 400mm intervals and all the joists will be secured using joist hangers.
What do you guys think

Last edited by Mpofu on Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:12 am, edited 2 times in total

Read more: //www.diynot.com/forums/floors-stairs-lofts/another-decking-newbie.37

Sponsored Links
I'm no expert in decking but have started doing one myself for the first time. ( in a house sense rather than commercial ) As an engineer I just don't like the idea of timbers in the ground where they can't dry or be aired.
I might be over the top but I set my deck on concrete blocks levelled with a mortared in slate on top(dpc) in addition I laid my decking on a dpc over the timber frame. It is over the top but the frame has a tough life in the dark all the time damp. Hopefully now it will have little dampness reaching it and as its elevated off the ground the air movement should keep it dry.

I'm no expert in decking but have started doing one myself for the first time. ( in a house sense rather than commercial ) As an engineer I just don't like the idea of timbers in the ground where they can't dry or be aired.
I might be over the top but I set my deck on concrete blocks levelled with a mortared in slate on top(dpc) in addition I laid my decking on a dpc over the timber frame. It is over the top but the frame has a tough life in the dark all the time damp. Hopefully now it will have little dampness reaching it and as its elevated off the ground the air movement should keep it dry.
Hie have decided to use fence post spikes as the cheaper option as I need bout nine the rest of the deck will be supported by concrete blocks.

dont think fence spikes are a good idea unless you give them a concrete base like a mushroom as big as a normal post at around 10-12" across

Sponsored Links
dont think fence spikes are a good idea unless you give them a concrete base like a mushroom as big as a normal post at around 10-12" across
Problem Big-all is I don't have a post digger and the ground is mostly subase as its a new build and a nightmare to dig

unless you can distribute the weight the spike by its nature with the weight on top with drying out and sodden ground only movement will only ever be in the direction off gravity
unlike a fence where the main loading is wind

remove the grass and compress the earth under the blocks[hit with a lump hammer] should help

unless you can distribute the weight the spike by its nature with the weight on top with drying out and sodden ground only movement will only ever be in the direction off gravity
unlike a fence where the main loading is wind

remove the grass and compress the earth under the blocks[hit with a lump hammer] should help
So basically get a concrete block and place under each post? Will the paving slabs work?

paving slab may crack especially if the compaction is uneven

just be aware if the total height above the highest natural point it covers is greater than 300mm it needs planning permission
as in on a sloping site if its 290 above the highest point but level and at the other end its 600mm that fine

After all that the decking is done and I need to build a retaining wall using scaffolding boards just to neaten the area I will sand the boards and use external varnish. I intend using 75x75mfence posts about a metre apart...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back