Summerhouse base

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning,

I'm wanting to build a summerhouse, and keen to find out all I need to know before starting. The plan is to build something 3mx4m, with the highest point of the roof being <2.5m high. The site is not very level, a few inches drop from one end to the other, and can get very damp in the winter. I'd rather spend a bit more money and time to get something that lasts well. I am wanting to insulate all walls/floor/ceiling. I've found some second hand double glazed doors and windows.

Please do feel free to give me links to other pages!

Two particular areas I'd be grateful for advice are:

1) Would a base like in these pics be suitable, or do I need to build concrete foundations under the piers, or would it be OK to use groundscrews? I'm a bit concerned with groundscrews that the alignment would have to be perfect, and that only a tiny cross sectional area of the wood would be supported.

IMG_20170318_111931.jpg
IMG_20170410_133210-e1522583215247.jpg
IMG_20170410_182853.jpg
IMG_20170411_151621.jpg

2) What would I use to waterproof the base and sides, would damp proof membrane be suitable? For the floor, would this go above or below the insulation?

Many thanks,

Mark

Sponsored Links
use the "report" button to create an alert.
Just realised this is in the wrong place, any chance a moderator could move into the building forum?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back