Summerhouse roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Currently building a summer house and stuck on roof choice and design.

Overall size is 5m x 2.2m and is currently sitting at a approx 2m height, due to planning I can only go up another 0.5m.

I'd much prefer to do a open gable style roof than a flat roof but unsure if I have enough pitch to achieve this.

Can anybody help with this and guide me in the right direction on style of roof and rafters size I'd need

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Hi

Currently building a summer house and stuck on roof choice and design.

Overall size is 5m x 2.2m and is currently sitting at a approx 2m height, due to planning I can only go up another 0.5m.

I'd much prefer to do a open gable style roof than a flat roof but unsure if I have enough pitch to achieve this.

Can anybody help with this and guide me in the right direction on style of roof and rafters size I'd need

Cheers

I guess the ridge would have to be parallel to the 5m sides.....

If you want the ceiling vaulted, itll need either tie bars or a structural ridge.

Personally Id be tempted with a flat roof with a 500mm overhang. Then you could have a higher ceiling

Yes ridge parallel with the 5m side

What size timber will I need for either as it's going to reduce my pitch size depending on height

Yes ridge parallel with the 5m side

What size timber will I need for either as it's going to reduce my pitch size depending on height
Id be guessing 4x2 for pitched rafters and 5x2 for flat over 2 metre span.

Structural ridge would need to be big, no idea on section, 12 x 2 maybe.....could be totally wrong though.

Hopefully you would be choosing lightweight bitumin or similar tiles, not clay peg tiles..........

Sponsored Links
Yes lightweight tiles looking at metrolite tiles atm.

Just watched a video on a fibre glass flat roof and it looks easy to do but my God it looks fugly, my other option would be bitumen tile sheets but not sure how I edge it and not keen on is longevity ( neighbours cat destroyed my shed roof with just normal sheet bitumen on )

Right guys

Going for the sheet bitumen tiles due to look.

But really unsure how to edge the stuff to look good

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back