sun lounge windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm planning to build sun lounge (i.e. conservatory with tiled roof), I have made a few calls looking for supply of conservatory style UPVC windows only but the places i have called aren't keen to discuss windows only and seem more keen on trying to sell whole conservatory.

Could anyone advise any company websites that describe different window options, & prices etc for this, cheers

Sponsored Links
Leaving aside the planning consent (i believe there is no definitive description of a conservatory, any extension is an extension, whether planning or buildings regs is required is down to the specification).
Try just buying normal upvc windows and screwing them together, we refurbished our sunlounger like this a few years ago, basicly blocked up to the window sill, and up the corners, constructed a timber frame to put the roof on add a couple of doors and you have a very cheap extension. (the biggest problem as far as planning permission goes is the size, building regs is dependent on type of construction I think a tile roof will require it to have building regs, which in turn will affect the rest of the construction.

i believe there is no definitive description of a conservatory, any extension is an extension, whether planning or buildings regs is required is down to the specification.
Lifted directly from the Planning Portal – Building Regulations;
Conservatories

Conservatories are normally exempt from building regulations when:
1. They are built at ground level and are less than 30 square metres in floor area
2. At least half of the new wall and three quarters of the roof is either glazed or translucent material
3. The conservatory is separated from the house by external quality door(s).
4. Glazing and any fixed electrical installations comply with the applicable building regulations requirements (see below).
You are advised not to construct conservatories where they will restrict ladder access to windows serving rooms in roof or loft conversions, particularly if any of the windows are intended to help escape or rescue if there is a fire.
Any new structural opening between the conservatory and the existing house will require building regulations approval, even if the conservatory itself is an exempt structure.
Further Information
The following common work section gives an indication of another element normally required to satisfy the requirements of the Regulations for conservatories:
• Doors and windows
• Electrics

That looks like a pretty definitive description of a conservatory to me; :LOL: ;)

Failure to meet any of the above will turn your cons. into an extension & will be required to meet ALL aspects of the relevant BR’s. Porches can also be exempt & they have a separate (but in some cases similar) definition.

(the biggest problem as far as planning permission goes is the size,
Since last year there is more to it than that. Once again, lifted directly from the Planning Portal;

Conservatories
Planning Permission

Under new regulations that came into effect from 1 October 2008 adding a conservatory to your house is considered to be permitted development, not needing an application for planning permission, subject to the following limits and conditions:
• No more than half the area of land around the "original house"* would be covered by additions or other buildings.
• No extension forward of the principal elevation or side elevation fronting a highway.
• No extension to be higher than the highest part of the roof.
• Maximum depth of a single-storey rear extension of three metres for an attached house and four metres for a detached house.
• Maximum height of a single-storey rear extension of four metres.
• Maximum depth of a rear extension of more than one storey of three metres including ground floor.
• Maximum eaves height of an extension within two metres of the boundary of three metres.
• Maximum eaves and ridge height of extension no higher than existing house.
• Side extensions to be single storey with maximum height of four metres and width no more than half that of the original house.
• Roof pitch of extensions higher than one storey to match existing house.
• No verandas, balconies or raised platforms.
• On designated land* no permitted development for rear extensions of more than one storey; no cladding of the exterior; no side extensions.
Where work is proposed to a listed building, listed building consent may be required.
* The term "original house" means the house as it was first built or as it stood on 1 July 1948 (if it was built before that date). Although you may not have built an extension to the house, a previous owner may have done so.

Try just buying normal upvc windows and screwing them together, we refurbished our sunlounger like this a few years ago, basicly blocked up to the window sill, and up the corners, constructed a timber frame to put the roof on add a couple of doors and you have a very cheap extension.
Which in all probability means it doesn't comply with BR's &, depending on the conditions above, may need PP!

Sponsored Links
The question I find hard to reason, is why should a conservatory with a glass or plastic roof not require building regs, but if you put strips of ply in instead of the glass/plastic then it will require building regs approval?

It really is a nonsense

If the separation door remains, then what difference does the roof material make?

thanks for comments everyone, yes i need planning, building control approval and structural calcs. I am coming off a dining room and cutting down the existing window to form opening into it as opposed to coming off a fixed set of doors.

I have found a few companies that definitely supply the windows so looks like a face to face chat. Doubtless it will be my poor internet searching skills but here is me thinking i'd be able to find lots of sites you can plug in a few window dimensions and they'll give you some pricing to give me an idea of options/prices..

The question I find hard to reason, is why should a conservatory with a glass or plastic roof not require building regs, but if you put strips of ply in instead of the glass/plastic then it will require building regs approval?

It really is a nonsense

If the separation door remains, then what difference does the roof material make?
Ours is not to reason why. Ours is but to do or die.

Didn’t your mum ever teach you that with a clip around the ear Woody. :LOL:

Richard C, have you swallowed a portal, well if you had you would realise that the exemption for planning permision for an extension is exactly the same as a one for a conservatory, there is no distinction between a conservatory or an extension, they are one in the same, if they meet a certain criteria they are a permitted development, it just so happens that if you build an extension that meets the criteria for exemption, it becomes what we traditionaly call a conservatory. I think it is fantastic that the new rules allow much more freedom, and also use terminology that we understand and relate to.
As for size being the main factor, then yes i believe if you build an extension that is what we traditionaly know as a conservatory, then size becomes the main factor in deciding whether it requires planning permission or not.

Planning Permission
Under new regulations that came into effect from 1 October 2008 adding a conservatory to your house is considered to be permitted development, not needing an application for planning permission, subject to the following limits and conditions:

No more than half the area of land around the "original house"* would be covered by additions or other buildings.
No extension forward of the principal elevation or side elevation fronting a highway.
No extension to be higher than the highest part of the roof.
Maximum depth of a single-storey rear extension of three metres for an attached house and four metres for a detached house.
Maximum height of a single-storey rear extension of four metres.
Maximum depth of a rear extension of more than one storey of three metres including ground floor.
Maximum eaves height of an extension within two metres of the boundary of three metres.
Maximum eaves and ridge height of extension no higher than existing house.
Side extensions to be single storey with maximum height of four metres and width no more than half that of the original house.
Roof pitch of extensions higher than one storey to match existing house.
No verandas, balconies or raised platforms.
On designated land* no permitted development for rear extensions of more than one storey; no cladding of the exterior; no side extensions

Planning Permission
Under new regulations that came into effect on 1 October 2008 an extension or addition to your home is considered to be permitted development, not requiring an application for planning permission, subject to the following limits and conditions:

No more than half the area of land around the "original house"* would be covered by additions or other buildings.
No extension forward of the principal elevation or side elevation fronting a highway.
Maximum depth of a single-storey rear extension of three metres for an attached house and four metres for a detached house.
Maximum depth of a rear extension of more than one storey of three metres including ground floor.
Maximum eaves height of an extension within two metres of the boundary of three metres.
Side extensions to be single storey with maximum height of four metres and width no more than half that of the original house.
Two-storey extensions no closer than seven metres to rear boundary.
Materials to be similar in appearance to the existing house.
Upper-floor, side-facing windows to be obscure-glazed; any opening to be 1.7m above the floor.
On designated land* no permitted development for rear extensions of more than one storey.
On designated land no cladding of the exterior.
On designated land no side extensions.

This is lifted directly from planning portal

I think that buildings regs is required, if certain other requirements are not met ie roof, heating, doors between house and conservatory.

Richard C, have you swallowed a portal, well if you had you would realise that the exemption for planning permision for an extension is exactly the same as a one for a conservatory,
Are you trying to make some sarcastic point or other :?: I just happen to use certain BR’s a lot & it was much easier to lift the definitions from the horse’s mouth as it were, what’s your problem with that; or do you think I am just talking “rubbish” again. :confused:

there is no distinction between a conservatory or an extension, they are one in the same, if they meet a certain criteria they are a permitted development, it just so happens that if you build an extension that meets the criteria for exemption, it becomes what we traditionaly call a conservatory. I think it is fantastic that the new rules allow much more freedom, and also use terminology that we understand and relate to.
As for size being the main factor, then yes i believe if you build an extension that is what we traditionaly know as a conservatory, then size becomes the main factor in deciding whether it requires planning permission or not.

In so far as permitted development goes then I didn’t say it wasn’t & I don’t really disagree with the rest of your play on words. The need to apply for planning permission or otherwise is dependant upon a number of factors, you advised the OP that it's mainly to do with size which it isn’t.

Planning Permission

On designated land* no permitted development for rear extensions of more than one storey; no cladding of the exterior; no side extensions

Planning Permission
Under new regulations that came into effect on 1 October 2008 an extension or addition to your home is considered to be permitted development, not requiring an application for planning permission, subject to the following limits and conditions:

Two-storey extensions no closer than seven metres to rear boundary.
Materials to be similar in appearance to the existing house.
Upper-floor, side-facing windows to be obscure-glazed; any opening to be 1.7m above the floor.
On designated land* no permitted development for rear extensions of more than one storey.
On designated land no cladding of the exterior.
On designated land no side extensions.

This is lifted directly from planning portal

I think that buildings regs is required, if certain other requirements are not met ie roof, heating, doors between house and conservatory.
& the point of this post is :?:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back