sunken bath on mezzanine floor

23 Jan 2010
Reaction score
United Kingdom
We have put an offer in on a Regency flat that is badly let down by its current bathroom. We want to install a new bathroom on a mezzanine floor in a private stairwell. The total height of the stairwell is 4.3m. Lose 200mm for the floor and make the bathroom ceiling 2.1m leaving the service room/corridor below with 2.0m.

2.1m is a little bit tight to have a shower over a bath. So, I am wondering if we can sink the bath into a well (making the bottom of the bath level with the floor) without affecting the ceiling height below?
Sponsored Links
Brighton :?: . Or Hastings- I know a good builder in Hastings. Anyway I would suggest a metal frame to hold the bath :idea: . Can`t tell more without looking - might even involve structural engineering calculations
Sponsored Links
Assuming this is the same flat you're also referring to in your thread in the Windows & Doors section, you'll need listed building consent BTW. :idea:
Assuming this is the same flat you're also referring to in your thread in the Windows & Doors section, you'll need listed building consent BTW. :idea:
Already asked and they couldn't find it listed. I since found the postcode and street entrance are on different roads. :confused: I'll ask again.

I'm hoping they will allow modification to back stairs.
Brighton and Hove have an on-line directory - it is Grade II (not II*).

I'm hoping that removing the hardboard partition hiding the back stairs, which pre-dates the 1981 listing, will even things out with the conservation people. I'll also be restoring the main rooms to Georgian décor (getting rid of the wood chip off the ceilings).

Does this mean I need to do stuff like use lime plaster to repair the walls and ceilings?
You are advised to contact the Conservation Officer to discuss any proposals you have, with listed buildings you need to apply for listed building consent. It is impossible to say what aspects of the listing apply, it may only be the exterior or it could be certain internal features or whatever, every listing is unique. The conservation officer will tell you what you can and cannot do. Avoiding going down the correct channels is not to be recommended especially changing internal layouts. Unlike the planning department, the conservation officers are usually happy to advise and it is potentially pointless sticking an application in without discussing it with the Cons officer first.
If you buy it your next post could be " what's the best way to get a fixing on a Bungaroosh wall?"
I'm sorry, isn't 'fix' and 'Bungaroosh' an oxymoron?

I assume one method is dig a hole in the wall, fill the cavity with lime mortar and brick rubble and wait a year. Oh, and don't forget the bloody horse hair.

We intend to renovate to Regency style - not much call for wall fixings. Kitchen cupboards probably on lathe and plaster.

The council are very particular about the paint on the exterior of these buildings. I assume it's structural. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links