Supermarket Rot In your Area

For years I've seen the writing on the wall as Tesco & Co have got more and more powerful.
The British public have been drawn to the supermarkets by the free parking in particular...and of course 'bargain' prices.
Many a time I've been told...'If the public didn't want it they wouldn't shop there'...which is true,but at what cost?

As a market trader I've seen the footfall on the high street getting less and less over the last 20 years.Shops closing and the slow death of the high street,not just the food stores but local cafes,pubs,and of course markets.

It's reached a point now where there is no going back.The greed of the big boys has whittled away at the livings of tens of thousands of smaller traders.And the hundreds of thousands of jobs they provided.
At one time they just sold food...then toiletries...then everything under the sun,even funerals.

All these closed small traders now have no need for plumbers ,sparkies, chippies,and all the other trades from window cleaners to signwriters.

Smaller traders fought back with their home deliveries and personal service...so of course the big boys brought in home deliveries.
£1 stalls were a market idea...they soon latched on to that.Close dated goods were the bread and butter of the market trader...they latched onto that too.Making it impossible for the little man to buy any stock.

This is the retail side but what about manufacturing? In the supermarket wars to steal each others business they set about spending billions in the Far East to bring costs down...and of course the British people went along with it...who wouldn't?...
Cheaper white goods,sofas, and the rest...great! But at what cost to manufacturing industry in the UK? And once again no trade for all the services that these home manufacturers used year in year out.

They have a stranglehold now and there's nothing short of a war that will alter it.
Well said...For the millions of jobs that the supermarkets have taken...just to be replaced by automated machines.

Children left with no future. No chance of opening up a small clothes shop of there own or even a any type of shop.

British Working Class people left with no jobs. My village used to be a fun place to visit when i was a young man. An old fashioned sweet shop with character shop counter, loads of unusual sweets in glass jars. A family owned bakery where i used to get given a big bag of end of the day cakes...me and me mates used to share as we sat on the bakers steps.

A family owned butchers where i would spend my 10p on a dog bone to feed my dog. A little reward for her companionship.

A haberdashery that smelt old with textiles and old wooden/glass storage units.

We also had an Aladdin cave that was the iron mongers. You could find all sorts in that place. Sold all sorts from fishing tackle to chopsticks to wrag worms that the young lads used to see to the ironmonger...who then used to sell to the summer tourist for beach fishing or quay fishing.

The TV God brainwashes everyone. I personally mute all adverts & never get any adverts on my pc. Firefox no script sorts this out. Google ghrome tracks all your words.

Sponsored Links
Well said...For the millions of jobs that the Farmers have taken...just to be replaced by automated machines (tractors etc).

Progress is a ****.
I KNOW

Is that Admin posting keeping the traffic driving? on this very basic php cms system. Such an old outdated wares.

Tynt insite all snoopers trying to catch the folk on this site out for data mining/harvesting.

As a market trader I've seen the footfall on the high street getting less and less over the last 20 years.Shops closing and the slow death of the high street,not just the food stores but local cafes,pubs,and of course markets.

Blame the councils as much as the supermarkets.

Councils have used town centre parking as a revenue generator, whilst simultaneously making it difficult and inconvenient (Parking is never near the shops, time restricted), some go as far to actively dissuade people from driving into the town centre and try and "encourage" people to use park and ride services.
Spot on! In our area we have spy cars which I have got done twice last year supporting local shops, one was for over the white lane marking and the tyres was touching the yellow lines outside a chemist 8am for 2mins, my wife was in a right state because the Asthma puffer failed to work, this was a very wide road and there hardly any traffic as it was half term, the other one was when my wife just dropped me off on the yellow line as I was in crutches, not even for 2mins, my local council didn't care. In the old days traffic wardens was better as it was common sense as they were not seen as heavy handed. Now I don't bothered supporting the local shops. I feel sorry for our local shopkeepers as they have made so many complaints to the council

Sponsored Links
For years I've seen the writing on the wall as Tesco & Co have got more and more powerful.
The British public have been drawn to the supermarkets by the free parking in particular...and of course 'bargain' prices.
Many a time I've been told...'If the public didn't want it they wouldn't shop there'...which is true,but at what cost?

It's reached a point now where there is no going back.The greed of the big boys has whittled away at the livings of tens of thousands of smaller traders.And the hundreds of thousands of jobs they provided.
At one time they just sold food...then toiletries...then everything under the sun,even funerals.

All these closed small traders now have no need for plumbers ,sparkies, chippies,and all the other trades from window cleaners to signwriters.

Smaller traders fought back with their home deliveries and personal service...so of course the big boys brought in home deliveries.
£1 stalls were a market idea...they soon latched on to that.Close dated goods were the bread and butter of the market trader...they latched onto that too.Making it impossible for the little man to buy any stock.

This is the retail side but what about manufacturing? In the supermarket wars to steal each others business they set about spending billions in the Far East to bring costs down...and of course the British people went along with it...who wouldn't?...
Cheaper white goods,sofas, and the rest...great! But at what cost to manufacturing industry in the UK? And once again no trade for all the services that these home manufacturers used year in year out.

They have a stranglehold now and there's nothing short of a war that will alter it.
Well said...For the millions of jobs that the supermarkets have taken...just to be replaced by automated machines.

Children left with no future. No chance of opening up a small clothes shop of there own or even a any type of shop.

British Working Class people left with no jobs. My village used to be a fun place to visit when i was a young man. An old fashioned sweet shop with character shop counter, loads of unusual sweets in glass jars. A family owned bakery where i used to get given a big bag of end of the day cakes...me and me mates used to share as we sat on the bakers steps.

A family owned butchers where i would spend my 10p on a dog bone to feed my dog. A little reward for her companionship.

A haberdashery that smelt old with textiles and old wooden/glass storage units.

We also had an Aladdin cave that was the iron mongers. You could find all sorts in that place. Sold all sorts from fishing tackle to chopsticks to wrag worms that the young lads used to see to the ironmonger...who then used to sell to the summer tourist for beach fishing or quay fishing.

The TV God brainwashes everyone. I personally mute all adverts & never get any adverts on my pc. Firefox no script sorts this out. Google ghrome tracks all your words.

Was everyone apple cheeked, lazy sunday afternoons spent in the pub on the village green, listening to the sound of leather on willow, whilst the bees lazily hum overhead....... jumpers for goal posts, isn't? aren't they? .... marvellous....

Sorry couldn't resist :D

Personally I like Tescos and Sainsburys, it keeps the riff-raff out of Waitrose.
John Lewis laughing at you keeping him wealthy in Monty Carlo with his old crownies
Actually the company John Lewis which owns Waitrose is entirely owned by its employees and the profits are shared amongst its employees in an annual bonus where they all receive the same bonus as a percentage of their basic pay.

Blame the councils as much as the supermarkets.

Councils have used town centre parking as a revenue generator, whilst simultaneously making it difficult and inconvenient (Parking is never near the shops, time restricted), some go as far to actively dissuade people from driving into the town centre and try and "encourage" people to use park and ride services.
Spot on! In our area we have spy cars which I have got done twice last year supporting local shops, one was for over the white lane marking and the tyres was touching the yellow lines outside a chemist 8am for 2mins, my wife was in a right state because the Asthma puffer failed to work, this was a very wide road and there hardly any traffic as it was half term, the other one was when my wife just dropped me off on the yellow line as I was in crutches, not even for 2mins, my local council didn't care. In the old days traffic wardens was better as it was common sense as they were not seen as heavy handed. Now I don't bothered supporting the local shops. I feel sorry for our local shopkeepers as they have made so many complaints to the council

Send them over here! There are always cars parked on double yellows on the road leading to our local car park, right up to the car park entrance sometimes, and the road is quite narrow too.

You won't believe me when I tell you it costs 30p to park for two hours. How tight-fisted can you get? Or perhaps they're too lazy to walk another ten paces.

Someone's going to get a bit of a shock when they find they can afford traffic wardens again.

Probably have car parking charges so you have to get a ticket which shows when you arrived. This stops people parking there for free all day and going to work so blocking spaces for people who want to shop.

Some shops refund the parking if you spend a fiver, some parking machines will issue a one hour ticket for free.

Cars that park on double yellow lines should be towed with no warning. Disabled badge too. Selfish gits who only think about themselves and cause traffic nightmares for the rest of us.

[. My village used to be a fun place to visit when i was a young man.

10 p :eek: In the town where I lived there was the same type of shops ( near the primary school ) we was lucky to get 2/- , that would`ve been for a paper round all week :LOL:

[. My village used to be a fun place to visit when i was a young man.

10 p :eek: In the town where I lived there was the same type of shops ( near the primary school ) we was lucky to get 2/- , that would`ve been for a paper round all week :LOL:

2 bob you say, well in the town i lived i was lucky to get a tanner!!

:LOL: :LOL:

I used to to get ten bob for a paper round, wednesday used to be a killer when the Visitor came out ,that used to keep me in No 6 fags all week

I seem to remember getting paid half-a-crown for my paper round.

I do remember one Christmas Eve one of my mates offered to help deliver my papers that day, to which I readily agreed. I 'forgot' to tell him that I had already received all my Christmas tips from customers during that afternoon's earlier delivery.

I would never support any supermarket...Why give the supermarkets all your money...just so they can wipr us all out. Every Little helps there EVIL DICTATORS.

Are you really claiming you don't use a supermarket? Ever?

Powerful supermarkets you say???

Although i haven't verified it, a number of years ago in the States, Wal Mart wanted to open a market in a town, all the inhabitants rose up in arms and said no, so, Wal Mart bought up all the general stores and shops in this town, built a supermarket in a town 80 miles up the highway then proceeded to close down every single shop they had acquired in the first town.

I would never support any supermarket...Why give the supermarkets all your money...just so they can wipr us all out. Every Little helps there EVIL DICTATORS.

Are you really claiming you don't use a supermarket? Ever?

Forget about supermarkets.. hypermarkets are way better than supermarkets =) i ve never been to Supermarkets =P

Sponsored Links
Back