supply for an outside pir lantern

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

Surprisingly the builders didn't put an outside light on the front of our new house despite the corner being pitch black and other occupiers having them fitted. I've been on to the site agent who has repeatedly promised to get a sparkie round but i've been waiting over a month now. The downstairs toilet is at the front of the house where the consumer unit is positioned. Is it beyond the ability of a DIY'er to take a feed from the consumer unit, chase around the plaster and through the wall to wire up the lantern myself? Anything I should be aware of in attempting to do this?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Anyone?

Would love to get this job done soon as it's bloody dark along the lane outside the house!

Cheers.

Mark, you could add this to the existing downstairs lighting circuit as a branch from the circuit origin. You need to wire via a switch, so that you can isolate if necessary. Isolate at the main switch before taking the cover off the comsumer unit and be very careful that you know where cables (especially the meter tails) run before you start drilling holes!

Thanks for your reply Dingbat. I've uploaded a sketch and photo of the layout at the front of my house here

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/2850058

As a DIY'er with no expertise in electricity / consumer units I was hesitant about opening it up to take a supply from it. But it looks like a reasonably straightforward job you think?

Thanks again,

Mark

Sponsored Links
markjj said:
As a DIY'er with no expertise in electricity / consumer units I was hesitant about opening it up to take a supply from it. But it looks like a reasonably straightforward job you think?

For a spark it is a very straightforward job, but if you have no experience I wouldn't like to advise you to do it yourself. Best to call in a local electrician.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back