Supply from plug sockets faulty.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello :)
We have had a new kitchen fitted that needed some new sockets/isolators for integrated appliances and a power supply to a cooker hood. All the work was done by a qualified electrician.
The power supply to one side of the kitchen behaves erratically, going off when something is plugged in and then back on when another thing is plugged in. When the power has failed, sometimes the lights on the hood will be flickering dimly.
I think that this area has separate wiring from the primary ring main for the downstairs. It consists of 2 double sockets, a power supply for the cooker hood, and fused isolator switches for the hood and for the integrated dishwasher. The whole circuit is connected to an RCD, and I have checked that this is not tripping out.
I have a reasonable understanding of domestic electricity, but I've never had this type of behaviour before, and Im worried about the potential cost as the walls are now tiled over, which was expensive.
What could be causing this ?

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Are you still in contact with the electrician, if there are problems with his work soon after he did it then it's really his job to fix it.

The most likely cause is a bad connection. If you do have to deal with it yourself I would suggest checking every connection on the new circuit for tightness as a first step.

As plugwash has stated.
Call the electrician and get him back to repair the fault. if the work was done recently or the fault has been existing since first done.
If he won't come back, you can inform his scheme provider.
Again normally loose connections within accessories.

I guess you have had no additional work done since the electrics were commissioned, nothing that could have caused a fault?

Thanks. The electrician was brought in by my kitchen installer, and I haven't been able to contact him yet. I will have a look at the connections as Im OK with that.

Thanks again for your response. :)

Sponsored Links
Hello PrenticeboyofDerry
Yes, the faults have arisen since the electrical modifications were done. The work was done 2 weeks ago, and nothing further has been done since. I am trying to contact the man who installed the kitchen in order to get the electrician back. If your right then (hopefully) it wont be too difficult to fix.

Normally the faults will be at the accessories(socket outlets, outlet plates, fused connections, switch plates, light fittings etc)
By what you are saying regarding socket outlets not functioning correctly when things are plugged in and out suggests loose cables within that outlet.
The cooker hood will more than likely be connected up to the same circuit, thus flickering lights.
Did you get any documentation for the electrical work, certificate, schedules of inspection and schedule of tests.
If so what are the readings concerning:
earth loop impedance?
r1+r2 continuity of the kitchen circuits worked on?
insulation resistance of those circuits?
plus what type of earth arrangement do you have?

The main problem with kitchens are that you will have other trades doing their work, such as plumbers, tilers, plasterers and kitchen fitters.
All with tools that can damage cables.
Ideally the electrician should have taken readings at first fix and on completion of work, once all trades have done. I accept not always possible but this does help to prevent or identify any faults that may have occurred after first fix.

be careful

i have just checked some socket wiring in a kitchen i had installed 2 years ago from a national kitchen company. The electrician never done any test's and 4 mains sockets had no earth.

Just cause they are qualified does not mean they are competent lol

I wire kitchens for a national company. We do test properly and issue all the relevant paperwork as we are required to do so by law. Had a property 2 weeks ago with no incomming earth. Arranged for the DNO to sort it. Customer left with a safe installation. Everyones happy.

5p says the breaker cage is nipped up at the wrong side of the busbar prong :LOL:

Thanks to all for your help and advice.
I did get paperwork and check readings from the electrician a few days after the work was completed.
He has now been back and replaced one of the double sockets and everything is now working OK.

regards
Hercules

OK. So there was a loose connection at a socket outlet. Unless it was a radial (which I suppose it could be), or there is more than one break in the ring final circuit (which is also possible), that would not cause erratic supply at other sockets downstream.

What current rating is the circuit breaker for the sockets that went off / went erratic?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back