supply to new garage

19 Aug 2007
Reaction score
West Midlands
United Kingdom
if I were to install a new consumer unit in a garage which has a 100amp main switch supplied by means of 6mm armoured cable, could this cable be connected via a splitter to the incoming supply of the house,
Sponsored Links
No, it needs to be fed from the correct size switch fuse or way in a consumer unit.
Depends how long it is, how it is installed etc.
It is a bit backwards, normally you'd start from what you are going to connect and work out the cable size.
Sponsored Links
Handimick - there are all sorts of things you need to know to work out what cable etc to use - you could do worse than to start here:

You'll also find some very useful books listed here:


You'll need a few of them as you also need to familiarise yourself with the regulations.

The reason you must to do it all properly, apart from safety, is that it's notifiable, so if you are going to be DIYing instead of using an electrician there's a lot that you have to get right.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local