Supplying hot water to new extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys new some help and advice,
i just over half way through a 10,000 Brick extension, in the extension part
will be 2 bathrooms up stairs and below WC/cloakroom and utility,
in the untility at the back of the house and on the back wall will be a new Boiler (not yet prchased), at the front of the (40ft from the boiler) is the front bathroom (both showers will be feed from the new boiler also),
its been suggested that i may need to run 28mm pipework from the boiler the whole length of the extension taking 22mm feeds as necessary to feed each bath and shower,
is this Necessary!
not needed!
good idea/wouldn't hurt!
as always your thoughts/expertise/knowledge/help is much appreciated
al

Sponsored Links
You haven't said what the new boiler will be. Will it have a white casing?

Could it be that you've become muddled about gas supply pipe and hot water delivery pipe?

If the boiler is a long way from the meter then it's possible that the gas supply pipe would have to be 28mm. However, it's very unusual to have to use 28mm pipe to deliver the hot water service.

Sponsored Links
Do you have any plumbing advice for the OP?[/quote]

Yes run 28mm pipework for the hot water draw off as advised by his own plumber and possibly 35mm cold feed pipework to the cylinder and again take advice from the guy on site who clearly knows what is required.

And when I went to school this "?" was a question mark ,doubt things have changed that much in 35 years but I could be wrong.

You haven't answered it though which kinda confirms why I asked in the first place.

Yes run 28mm pipework for the hot water draw off as advised by his own plumber
He hasn't mentioned any plumber. Do you know that he has one?

...and possibly 35mm cold feed pipework to the cylinder...
He hasn't mentioned any cylinder. Do you know that he has one?

...and again take advice from the guy on site who clearly knows what is required.
He hasn't mentioned any "guy on site". Do you know that there is one?

And when I went to school this "?" was a question mark
Some questions are rhetorical, and yet they end with a question mark.
Perhaps you didn't learn about those at school? Did you see what I did there?

doubt things have changed that much in 35 years but I could be wrong.
Surely not?! You seem to be highly intelligent with equipped with a talent for grammar and spelling. How could you be wrong about such a thing?

You haven't answered it though which kinda confirms why I asked in the first place.
You haven't asked me a question. You've thrown up lots of new ones though. :D

Guys
was looking at purchasing a KESTON C55,

Gas meter is approx 45feet from the boiler so i understand i will need 28mm or bigger for the gas supply,
but what i was pondering over was the hot water supply from my new boiler to the new bathrooms, my initial plan was to simply run a 22mm pipe, straight line from boiler
at ground floor ceiling high and simply T'ing off for the utility sink unit, the first bathroom wash basin, shower and then bath, down to ground floor cloakroom wash basin and then second bathroom Shower, hand basin and last on the line the bath which is 40feet from the boiler, will 22mm be good enough or would it be advisable to run 28mm,

guys im no plumber, just a very good DIY'er, so using 28mm is not something i have come across b4, just want to make sure im doing the right thing and last thing i want is to be in a position where im starving the furthest bathroom from its hot water supply, so any advice is welcomed/appreciated,

cheers al

was looking at purchasing a KESTON C55
A white casing - I suspected as much;.

what i was pondering over was the hot water supply from my new boiler to the new bathrooms, my initial plan was to simply run a 22mm pipe, straight line from boiler
I believe that this boiler is intended for with an indirect system, so the boiler output won't be going to the taps, but to a cylinder coil.

The size of primary pipework depends on the heat losses from your property and the number/size of radiators you have. You might not be able to use enough heat to make 28mm of any use, but you could run in 28mm to the first tee between zones, if that helps you to future-proof your system. Otherwise, use 22mm, since the primary circuit is pumped.

Whether or not you use 28mm for the cylinder DHW takeoff depends on the length of pipe runs and the resistance to flow. Certainly you should carry 22mm all the way to the furthest room that uses hot water.

Bear in mind that the larger the gauge of pipework for the DHW service, the most energy you waste in delivering the hot water, and the bigger the delay before it gets there.

What do you have in there at the moment, and how good is the hot flow?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back