supplying power to a shelf

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'll try to explain

I'm putting up a floating shelf directly under my TV. I want to supply power to the TV,DVD player, sky box, wii game console and hi-fi that will sit on top of the shelf. I don't want ugly trailing wires up to the shelf. I can't find any examples of what or how to do it, so this is what I was thinking and I wanted to know if it was possible; recess 2 dry lining boxes on the underside of the shelf. Using two 3-Gang 2-Way Light Switches and wire each of the above components into each of the switches. Then running a flex from the switches through the wall to a normal wall socket with a 13A plug? If I can't use light switches then how about individual switched spurs [5 of them]? The only other alternative I can think of is having an extension strip [6 gang] attached to the underside of the shelf, I really don't want that as it'll be quite visible and you'd have all the plugs on top of it too and as I said above ugly.

Any help and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
So what's the idea with the switches then?

I guess you would want your video recorder powered all the time and then use a switch or fcu to turn the tv etc off at night?

I think if it were me I found counter sink some sockets in the wall.

A double maybe for the 24hr equipment
And an mk tripple socket for the other stuff.

Or even two mk 3 gang sockets

The only other alternative I can think of is having an extension strip [6 gang] attached to the underside of the shelf, I really don't want that as it'll be quite visible and you'd have all the plugs on top of it too and as I said above ugly.
I've seen things like that done with a 'skirt' attached under the shelf to conceal the plugs and sockets from view. If it's a fairly deep (front to back) shelf, that skirt could be fairly near the back, hence even less conspicuous.

Light switches are, IMO, not a satisfactory way to go, for all sorts of reasons.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I would be inclined to fit a fused connection unit with a 3A fuse, then from the load side take a cable to a dry lining box that you have sunk in the wall above the shelf. Use the box to house a sort of small wiring centre (ie chocblock or wago connectors) wire all the mains leads back to the box and fit a blank plate and either have the cables coming out of the edge of the blank plate(most blanking plates have cable outlet grooves that you can open) or drill holes through the front of the plate and feed the cables through, use cable ties to create a cable retraint in either case)

I would be inclined to fit a fused connection unit with a 3A fuse, then from the load side take a cable to a dry lining box that you have sunk in the wall above the shelf. Use the box to house a sort of small wiring centre (ie chocblock or wago connectors) wire all the mains leads back to the box and fit a blank plate ...
As I understand it, the OP wants each of the mains leads to have its own switch.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back