Support a marble breakfast bar, suggestions please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon all.

We are in the process of getting a new kitchen installed (in a couple of weeks) and I have a question.

We are using marble work tops.
The units are from howdens (if that matters)

In the middle of the kitchen we will have an island that is one set of units deep and 1.4 units wide.
In this island will be a hob with a down draft extractor fan (placed in the middle with ducting going down.

We are intending to have effectively a super sized breakfast bar on the other side of the work surface that is roughly 650mm deep, which is slightly raised above the hight of the worktop where the cooker is placed (the hight of a splash back thingy that goes along the wal, 100mm?)

Now my concern is how to support this amount of marble with out breaking some thing terribly.

The more minimalist the better, but as I understand this is a lot of weight to be supported along one side (especially taking in to account some silly bugger sitting on it which they almost certainly will).

If there are no fancy minimalist solutions, then I was thinking corbels/brackets along the side close to the work units, and then normal chrome work stand legs.

Thoughts and suggestions very much appreciated.

doug

Sponsored Links
got a sketch of what you're trying to do? I can't quite picture it in my head..

Hi Wibbet,
I can see what you are trying to do and I think the difficulty is the front edge which you will want to keep reasonable clear to get the seating in underneath. I think that the width of the marble (1.4 units?) will be the weak point as it is likely to bow and possibly break. I would be looking for a support either end and a cross bar (angle bar) under the marble, a bit like a lintel. You may want to go with a small marble upstand under the front edge that hides the cross bar or move the bar further back out of eye line. For real security and if possible I would also put a support in the middle using the chrome leg that you mention.
Good luck and hope you find a solution.
Rob

Sponsored Links
Since it will be raised you could add support under by adding a sheet of 25mm ply , will give extra strength and chamfer edges left 100mm shy of the edge will not get in the way or be seen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back