Granite Breakfast Bar Support

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are about to have a new kitchen installed, and as part of the design we have a large overhanging granite worktop which will be used as a breakfast bar.

I need some advise on suitable support mechanisms for the worktop, I'm particularly looking for something like a worktop leg, that will secure to both the granite and the floor we have a basic leg support on a kitchen unit at the moment, but its prone to getting knocked and doesn't fill me with confidence that such a mechanism even if using multiple legs would provide sufficient safety from the worktop collapsing

I've uploaded a plan view of the kitchen below, which provides some indication of the length of the overhang

Any advise would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
db - forget about the leg. Let the breakfast bar overhang 'hang' without any OBVIOUS means of support. However, install a couple of support struts below the granite fixed to the tops of the base unit carcases - cantilevers. These should be made from duralimin (aluminium alloy) and let into the top of the carcase so their top surfaces are flush ready to receive the granite. Positioned correctly they won't be seen but for the curious they will appear as polished silver thing that match the stainless steel cupboard handles. Of course you could just use a couple of lengths of angle iron painted black.

personally I wouldn't bother with a "breakfast bar"..

from the diagram it only leaves you with about 700-800 gap between the bar and the corner of the wall oposite..

much better idea to have the sink against the wall and leave it open at the end.. use the space for a dining table.. 4 seater.. much more practical..

how set are you against a little building work?

the door to the top left of the diagram.. could it not be moved to the wall next to the fridge (1815 wall.. )
that way you can have a straight run of cabinets along that sink / dishwasher wall? possibly leave a window for light..

does that 3135 wall back onto something? does it have a window?

The 3135 length of wall backs onto the dining room, so there is no window.

The window historically would have been between where the sink is positioned in the diagram and the oven unit, but this now opens out into the conservatory (something we inherited when we bought the house).

As for the angle of the granite, I don't think its set at this point, it was more to give an indication of how it might look (the kitchen unit supplier that did the CAD drawings can't cope with anything non standard). So we will work with the positions and sizings with the granite supplier once the units are in.

We are planning on having a small table and chairs in the conservatory area (again kitchen planner stuck a sofa in the diagram), and its intended use is a breakfast room, as we have a dining room elsewhere in the house.

Hadn't considered moving the door into the kitchen, but has given me food for thought, on the wall where you propose it coming in is the radiator for the hallway, but as we are moving rads in the kitchen anyhow moving one more isnt too much of an issue. The only concern would be the opening as it will either block the access from the current utility area into the kitchen, or open up against the fridge.

Sponsored Links
backs onto the dining room?
how do you gain access to it?
is that door I just tried to move the door to a hallway or outside?

that "bar" just seems like it will be creating lots of bad problems though..
access into the breakfast nook..dead space in the corner by the door ( very tight angle. from the looks.. )

it might be better to have it square to the wall..

View media item 10069
took the liberty...

Chrome / black adjustable legs are easily available, many of the diy sheds stock them.

Chrome / black adjustable legs are easily available, many of the diy sheds stock them.

What I'm after though is something which secures to the floor as well as the worktop, we have a chrome adjustable leg in the existing kitchen, and its prone to moving if knocked...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back