Support beams in loft cracked

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Is this a problem that needs sorting? I have lived in my house 8 years but I think these splits may be getting worse. The planks seem to be cracked length ways. One is worse than the other but it's worrying me now. If these give way does the roof collapse inwards?

Any reassuring tones or advice welcomed.

Matt

GALLERY]

Sponsored Links
Looks like a typical drying fissure.

Is it only on one side?

I don't know if it is the picture, but the crack looks like it has some outward shelling, which is a little odd.

Can you get better pictures.

Thanks for input. What's a drying fissure? Not sure if it's the other side as well. I can go up again for more photos if needed?

It maybe my eyes but they look a bit like scaffolding planks to me, and it looks like something has been changed.

Sponsored Links
It's not the other side of the plank, just one side. I've got some more photos to upload now

+1 for the scaffold boards or similar.....
Certainly these have been used before, and they aren't original - see the screw holes?
I'll stick me neck out and say they would normally be set lower than that :p
John :)

Drying fissures are just that, as the timber dries, is can develop splits.

Typically nothing to worry about, and if they only occur on one side, that further indicates that is all they are.

Though others are sharper eyed that me to spot they are scaffold boards.

Strictly speaking they are not designed for this use, and it is a little odd, but given their function (to resist spread), not to worrying.

Are they truss rafters (do they have nail plates), if they do, I highly doubt they are original.

I'm not an engineer, but I would echo burnerman and question their position.

Hi,

Thanks for all your help. Here are some more photos but from the comments above it sounds like I need a few more of the joints/screws perhaps?

I have added a photo of the other part of the loft, it goes round the corner. The strange thing here is that there are no horizontal beams going across in this bit, puzzled about this, any ideas?

So does it mean the beams are unnecessary in the first part (really get in the way, banging head etc) or shall I go up again for the extra photos?

Picture 1 - Other part of loft (never been down there!), looking South from hatch
Picture 2 - Looking up at beam from hatch, looking North
Picture 3 - End of beam above hatch
Picture 4 - Pretty much same as picture 2
Picture 5 - At east end of loft looking west propped up against far beam. You can see other side of cracked beam i.e. good so just a fissure (?), then furthest beam which you go under to get round to go left of the chimney breast to get into picture 1.

As if that isn't enough to worry about on the last picture you might be able to see loads of chimney cement that has fallen off the chimney breast all of a sudden, why would it do that after all 80 years?

Thanks

Matt

Im not really much of a roofing expert, but I don't see the function of those beams.

Horizontal beams are typically to resist roof spread, but you likely have roofing joists under the insulation and boarding, hence why you don't have them all over. Possibly they are helping to support the purlins, either way the cracks in them don't concern me.

I'm guessing you going up in the roof disturbed some mortar that was already loose, won't hurt to check the mortar joints etc.

Why has your attention been drawn to these collars now? How do you know that they are "getting worse"?

Long purlins are often supported by posts - not by collars. Are there any indications that the purlins are sagging - are they level?

Perhaps, pull back the insulation at the eaves/wall plate & see if a couple of loft joists are nailed into the wall plate and rafter tails.

Examine the c/breast for loose mortar or bricks or cracks - are the face and cheeks plumb? Perhaps, post an external pic of the chimney stack?

Does the ridge run perfecly true?

How old is the property?

Your worries are most probably without justification - the loft is fine judging by the pics but i ask questions simply because they are on my mental check list.

Maybe someone thought it was necessary to beef up the structure when the Velux window was installed, and that this was the way to do it.

If this is scaff board, maybe it was old, used board, in poor condition, when it was installed.

Just suggestions,

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back