Supporting a wall spanning over a kitchen worktop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to install an insulated catnic into a cavity wall 100mm blocks each side with a 60mm cavity. The opening will be 1800mm plus 150mm bearing each end.

I've not been able to find anything that I can hire to support both walls as well as spanning over a kitchen worktop on the inside. Can anyone suggest anything that could do this that I can hire easily?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Acrows and needles.
I’ve not found a single hire place near me that hires needles. The only thing I’ve found is something called Prop Pals but can only find the 1200mm version not the 1800mm ones that I would need.

Needles are just bits of wood.

Sponsored Links
Needles are just bits of wood.

Ah, I always thought they were metal. Although with the price of timber these days it would probably be cheaper to use metal.

Or you can strongboy both skins from outside.

Attachments

• IMG_20200107_104507472.jpg
    IMG_20200107_104507472.jpg
    314.3 KB · Views: 28
Or you can strongboy both skins from outside.

I had wondered about doing it this way. What is the reason for doubling up the strongboys, is it due to the weight of the 2 skins being too much for 1 strongboy or some other reason?

I had wondered about doing it this way. What is the reason for doubling up the strongboys, is it due to the weight of the 2 skins being too much for 1 strongboy or some other reason?

It was my first time using them and I wasn't talking any chances! I did find that when jacking them up there was a bit of initial flex on the ends of the strongboys - so even assuming the inner and outer courses were level I don't think there would be much support on the inner leaf - and that's what carries all the load.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back