Venting through a support wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to build some support dwarf walls in 2 rooms where the joist are spanning 4m+. I have been told adding a support wall mid span will add considerably to the rigidity of the floor.

The walls will be approximately 3 courses of blocks high. Is it best to leave gaps between each block on the bottom or middle course of say 100mm or to install a few lintels and have far larger gaps of say 1000 (maybe 4 of them over the 10m span)?

What is the best method (even if it is not the cheapest or quickest).

Sponsored Links
padstar, good evening.

Suggest you look @

Honeycomb dwarf walls, where gaps are left between each block in all rows, a gap of [say] 100.mm between the blocks will not impede air flow too much.

Install concrete pre-stressed lintels with the lintels spanning between block work or brickwork piers. Each end of the lintel can be resting on a pocket + pad stone cut into the existing walls.

Ken.

Thanks Ken. Is 1 method prefered over the other or do they both give the same results?

padstar, good evening, again.

The first method, could be considered more "traditional"

As for which method?? it comes down to preference and logistics, such as.
1/. In method 1 a full width foundation will be needed to support the blocks. [sub plot --- removal of excavated material?? and additional Concrete for the founds?]
2/. In method 1 an access space may be needed to get from one area to another, this will probably need a small lintel?
3/. In method 2 a smaller area of foundation is required.
4/. In method 2 you need to ensure that the lintels can be manhandled into the access to the underfloor, which in turn may??? dictate the center to center dimensions of the piers + the number of piers??

Consider? use treated timber only for the "wall plate" under the joists.
Fit a DPM under the treated timber.
Leave a [say] 10 / 15. mm. gap between the [so called] wall plate and the floor joists. makes actually getting the wall plate into place, then use treated timber packing between Wall Plate and underside of individual joists. [Joists are at times notorious for differing depths??

Ken

Sponsored Links
Thanks. I think I will go with blockwork with lintels to give larger spans of free space and air circulation. All old joists have been removed so it is a fresh canvas and getting lintels etc in there will be no problem. Thanks again

Over a 9.5m support wall would 4nr 500mm openings be sufficient for venting the floor void?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back