supporting an under mount sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im having a granite worktop with under mount sink installed and the installers are suggesting silicone sealant left to cure for 48 hours is sufficient to support the sink. I've read a few tales of sinks dropping out after a few years so thought I'd make up some supports. I'm thinking of attaching battens to the carcus to provide some strapping, but wondered if anyone has done this and has any tips. I won't be able to start until after the install so will be limited in access.

Sponsored Links
Silicone is definitely not enough......even I have dealt with half a dozen failures.
Go right ahead and support yours with either battens or a solid shelf.
John :)

there are also loads of clip systems out there to supplement the silicone. some involve blocks glued to the granite and some are as simple as grooves cut into the underside. I have even seen strap banding slung under the sink fixed to the cabinet carcass. That said silicone can hold up sinks perfectly satisfactory for years one of the granite suppliers around our way polish the undersides around the sink aperture so the silicone bonds better.
Personally I would always go for a secondary method of support

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back