Supporting beam at Gable end

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am putting a beam in my loft. I need to creat a recess for one end of the beam in the gable end wall. 1930s house. Bond is just two layers of bricks with headers every few rows. Outside is rendered. Bricks have lime mortar between them so I can remove some easily enough. Unluckily there is a row of headers at the level where the beam will go. So I need to remove half a brick here. I was thinking to drill a load of holes and chip it with a chisel but there must be an easier way.
Any advice is very much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Could you not use a large angle grinder and a diamond masonry (mortar raking?) disc to do the heavy cuts first? Doing it that way puts less vibration into the wall (better for the render) and makes it fairly easy to break out the bricks if the mortar is raked first.

Getting the mortar out isn’t too hard as it is fairly soft lime mortar. Its getting half a stretcher brick out which I am struggling with.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back