supporting beams and lintel calculation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Where do I get calculations for a beam (RSJ) that I want to fit in place of a supporting wall? It supports a sloping roof, see photos.

Also for lintels for french doors, I want to fit.
End Kitchen outside.jpg
End Kitchen inside.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Structural engineer or if your happy doing drawings catnic have a scheduling service

Scheduling service is where they will spec the right size lintel for a given job, I used it recently for removing an internal load bearing wall, they required a scale drawing showing the roof joist positioning and sizes and the make up of the walls to be removed, it was straightforward enough and is free.

Should be fairly simple for your job as the wall you want to remove should only be holding the weight of the lean to roof.

I emailed there technical department with some photos similar to the ones you've taken and we went from there

Sponsored Links
Forgot to add, building officer will accept catnic's specs but only if you can prove your competent enough to calculate the require loads to allow you to chose a lintel or catnic provide the schedule for you

Scheduling service is where they will spec the right size lintel for a given job, I used it recently for removing an internal load bearing wall, they required a scale drawing showing the roof joist positioning and sizes and the make up of the walls to be removed, it was straightforward enough and is free.

Should be fairly simple for your job as the wall you want to remove should only be holding the weight of the lean to roof.

I emailed there technical department with some photos similar to the ones you've taken and we went from there
Hi T,
Ok, fine.

On my internal lintel, do you think it can be fitted using wall hangers, so I don't have to bang about the neighbours parting wall, also there would be no need for supposting wall ends to be left?
cheers, C.

The lintel for that second picture I'd expect they'll want it pocketing into the wall.

The left end will need a column to sit on at least, otherwise it's just floating in the air unless I'm missing something?

Hi,
Where do I get calculations for a beam (RSJ) that I want to fit in place of a supporting wall? It supports a sloping roof, see photos.

Also for lintels for french doors, I want to fit.
Does the floor level drop down inside?

Why are you showing two doors in close proximity to each other?

The proposed column of masonry, left remaining (after those doors are knocked out) is way too small. It should be a minimum of three bricks in each direction.

It's not just about the beam or lintel, but also the walls and foundations supporting the beam or lintel. The likes of Catnic won't normally consider any thing but the lintel loading.

The lintel for that second picture I'd expect they'll want it pocketing into the wall.

The left end will need a column to sit on at least, otherwise it's just floating in the air unless I'm missing something?
Hi T,
Removing the internal wall, which may not be touching the rafters (I'll investigate), will leave a wall both sides. If a lintel is needed, I wanted to know if I could use wall hangers.
C

Does the floor level drop down inside?

Why are you showing two doors in close proximity to each other?

The proposed column of masonry, left remaining (after those doors are knocked out) is way too small. It should be a minimum of three bricks in each direction.
Hi N,
The floor has been raised over the years to be higher than the damp course, and I had to cut round it, and water froof it when I first arrived. I could drop it down to original, which will suit the french doors better, but will leave a step down in the kitchen. (As originally)

Where you think I want a second door, is where I want a window. There used to be a door there, before I filled it in. (coal shed)

I understand what you mean regarding the building regs and the window, next to the door, but the previous door has been there for 100 years+
C

Hi,
I spoke to the building officer, and most of what I want to do has been agreed.

If you look at the 1st photo in #1, left window. It is supported by the wall plate. This won't be acceptable for a 2ish Mtr window.
It would be better to keep the height if possible, and the only way I can think how to do it is an 'L' shaped lintel for a 9" wall to support the plate without much loss of height.
Any ideas please?
C.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back