Loft Conversion - Structural Calculations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear all,

I have a question regarding structural calculations for a loft conversion.

When converting a loft the original structure supporting the front half of the pitched rood is essentially left in place (except for the purlin replaced by the dwarf wall). Below is a typical detail.

My question is: how much of the weight of the front slope is supported by the new ridge beam and how much is supported by the existing structure?

Is there a rule of thumb / industry practice when doing these calculations?

Many thanks,

Max

Sponsored Links
Calculate the loads on plan by square metre but allowing for roof slope. e.g. one square metre of roof at 45° pitch is 1.4m on plan. Do a sketch of the roof plan and mark the load points. i.e. this is where the load is taken to. In a simple beam supported at ends, 50% of the load goes one way and 50% the other. A roof is treated exactly the same. Once the loads are calculated as above you ignore the slopes and distribute the loads on plan.

I hope we're talking in hypothetical terms here. Obviously, you wouldn't start any actual work until your calculations had been verified by an appropriately insured structural engineer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back