Structural calculations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just received planning permission for an integrated garage conversion into a study and shower room. I’m adding an internal door to the hall way, bricking up and popping a window in where the existing garage door is and adding a small window at the side. I am completely ignorant. I have been told I need structural calculations from building control. I am a woman and I don’t want to be ripped off as I haven’t got a clue about these things. Does anyone have an idea of how much I should expect to pay for this please?

Sponsored Links
A few hundred pounds, phone around some local structural engineers, though sometimes one man bands are no less expensive than bigger firms. Don't be surprised if they won't be able to do it for a month or so, you could speak to your designer and see if they have anyone to recommend. Respectfully you seem like you should get clued up on what needs to be done if you have no detailed drawings/specs, fine if the builder is honourable and knows what's what but is he?

Thank you. I have gone into this naively so appreciate the help. You’re right I need to be more clued up… it’s a lesson for me

I have just received planning permission for an integrated garage conversion into a study and shower room. I’m adding an internal door to the hall way, bricking up and popping a window in where the existing garage door is and adding a small window at the side. I am completely ignorant. I have been told I need structural calculations from building control. I am a woman and I don’t want to be ripped off as I haven’t got a clue about these things. Does anyone have an idea of how much I should expect to pay for this please?
Hi C,
Previously I needed a beam calculation, and I bumped into an architect in the planning office, who did the calculation for £40. As people now work from home, it won't be so easy today.

As for the building work builders will quote for it.

I also need so calculations for a similar project to yours, so if I get any more clues, I'll pop back here :)
Cheers, Camerart.

Sponsored Links
If you are bricking up the opening, in part, you will probably be ok with off the shelf lintels. Unless the foundations carry across the opening some work will be needed on that aspect.

Structural calculations for what? Get it clarified.

Generally, if you are doing standard work and use standard components such as timber sizes and off-the-shelf lintels then you don't need to get additional calculations to prove that they are adequate.

You could potentially save yourself a costly site visit if you can convey to the SE what they need to know/understand what needs to be done.

Hi C,
Previously I needed a beam calculation, and I bumped into an architect in the planning office, who did the calculation for £40.
What? In 1994?

Last edited:
I have had it sorted. It did need calcs… was initially quoted £500 but held out and got it literally due to the scale for circa £200. Thanks all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back