Replacing two outside brick walls with double glazed doors (structure req compliance)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thinking of replacing the two outside walls (L shaped relative to each other) of my workshop with double glazed doors/windows. One nook - workshop is under the garage (the house is on a hill, so garage is at ground level, workshop under that), I am not sure if the window frame are designed to bear the same support load as a normal internal brick/aeroc wall, or a lentil will need to be put in place for the whole length of the new frame?

Only at the intersection of the L shape, the old brick wall structure will remain in place.

So overall the window to surface are will be over 50%, so energy efficiency will be a question, given the washing machine and dryer are inside, but no heating is in the room.
Thats without the additional complication of the garage one level above.

Any advice on the type of windows that might be required and the load reqs for the new doors/windows replacing the current walls? I know I probably need to speak to a construction engineer prior to builders will start :)

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
You should speak to a structural engineer.
Or you could try and see if it holds up...

You need to design the steelwork to fully support the garage -assume the windows and doors will support no load at all.

The load will need to provide lateral stability as well.

Really just confirming what others have said but window frames are not loadbearing and a structural engineer is needed particularly on an L shaped glazed wall to design the corner pier and lintels.
Or you could try and see if it holds up...
- or collapses :!:

Sponsored Links
Brickwork and lintels. Not really any need for a structural engineer, and he wont be able to answer the energy efficiency question either.

Oh the energy efficiency one, did not think structural engineer will answer that :D That is probably a question for frame/window makers... otherwise thanks for confirming my initial thoughts - get one structural engineer on site :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back