Implications of not getting building regs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What would be the implications for not seeking building regs for the following - assume all work is done by competent tradesmen and photos etc are kept of all works;

- Removal of circa 2.00 m of load bearing wall, installation of suitable RSJ onto concrete pads of sufficient size. (calcs done by engineer, but not chartered structural)

- Installation of french doors in place of windows (includes removal of circa 1.00m of brick from floor level)

- Bricking up of 1 external doorway, and 2 internal doorways.

- Installation of understairs WC

- Retile of roof, replacement of old insulation with 50 mm

- Refurb of wooden windows, replace single glazed units with double

Sponsored Links
Potentially you have to get an indemnity insurance (about £100) when you sell your house or someone who ordinarily would buy your house is too nervous and walks away.

But really why get all that work done by a good tradesman and not bother with the regs for the sake of a few hundred quid?

The forum is rife with buyers in just such a situation looking for reassurance because of the likes of your mindset, yes its annoying and why give the poxy government any more of your hard-earned but really its just the hassle it can involve.

Do you own the house? Do you want to sell it, ever? There may be big implications when it comes to selling it, and the work is discovered, without the relevant paperwork to go along with it. Yes, the house will still sell, but a buyer may use it as a bargaining point.

I expect others will also be able to mention any other, more immediate, implications.

Personally can't see an issue with it if done properly. Have you checked how much it costs for local council's building control to inspect the work?

What would be the implications for not seeking building regs for the following

As well as the above, it's also a criminal offence not to notify and/or not to build in conformity.

Max £5k fine/6 months at Strangeway's. :)

Sponsored Links
Really?! Seems a bit ridiculous to be honest - I understand it's there to prevent cowboy building/over enthusiastic DIYers but the costs just don't seem justifiable.

It's likely that if I were to apply for building regs I'd have to have structural calcs done by a S Eng, and if all the above works required BC I'd estimate it'd cost in excess of £1200 for their fees + S Eng.

How would you know what the right materials and construction are if you didn't have a structural engineer look at it?

Really?! Seems a bit ridiculous to be honest - I understand it's there to prevent cowboy building/over enthusiastic DIYers but the costs just don't seem justifiable.

It's likely that if I were to apply for building regs I'd have to have structural calcs done by a S Eng, and if all the above works required BC I'd estimate it'd cost in excess of £1200 for their fees + S Eng.

Fine/jail is a worst-case scenario, and I've not had any personal experience of M/C building control going that far.

Where do you get £1200 from? - it wouldn't be anything like that - there are discounts for multiple jobs, and if memory serves, there is a flat fee for work below a certain figure. Just ring Building Control and ask.

I work in engineering, as an engineer but not structural - the calcs are simple, and any uncertaintly can be overcome by over-engineering (ie larger steel, wider + thicker pads)

The work would be undertaken by someone with ~ 40 years of experience in this type of work, the roofing would be undertaken by a roofing contractors, and any plumbing/electrics by suitably qualified and registered tradesmen.

Over engineering? That just means using more steel at more cost. Probably cheaper to spend £60 on a beam calc.

What a bizarre thread.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back