Supporting En-suite Floor.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
upload_2020-11-13_15-31-10.png

As you can see from the picture, we have a stud wall built over the top of a joist.

The floor in the corner will be supporting a 900 x 900 stone resin tray plus a huge me (and I mean HUGE!!).

I'm thinking of buying a 145 x 50 joist and sistering it up to the existing one using timber connectors.

But I'm not sure this is sufficient or, if it is, what the best fixings to use are.

The other idea I have come up with is buying joist hangers and hanging several short pieces of stout timber between the joist under the wall and the next one in.

Would that be stronger?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If you can get a decent bearing on each end of the sistering joist (either by an existing bearing, by notching over say an existing masonry wall or by carrying the sistering joist on an appropriate timber or steel bearer then I'd go ahead and sister the joist using M10 or M12 coach bolts, washers and dog washers between the two pieces of timber at 600mm or less centres.

Adding additional solid strutting between the joists (screwed or nailed in place) will further add to the stiffness of the floor.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, JAK.

Would you mind pointing me to examples on the interwebby?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back