Supporting or removing a clay pot liner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

In the process of opening up a tiny fireplace to fit a small log burner and in doing so found 3 clay pots (approx 1m total) lining the first part of the chimney. The brickwork I removed to open up the fireplace was supporting these pots and although they’re not unstable I think I need to remove them. Would that be the best plan as resupporting them would take up space for the burner?

The chimney will be lined before burner is fitted.

Many thanks in advance

Mrwood
image.jpg

image.jpg

Sponsored Links
is this a corner chimney breast?

before doin anythin else get the dimensions, esp height, needed for installin your burner - just workin to a a small burner guess wont fly.

your flue will need sweepin an whats the condition of the stack on the roof?

It’s in the corner of the room but only because that’s where a builder in the ‘70s moved it to. The pot liner is angled to its original position. It’s actually in the middle of the house.

Yes thanks for the advice, a Country 4 will fit. The stack is in good condition and the sweep is being done before the liner is fitted.

Thanks

the pot flue looks to be 6" ID so maybe the SS linerwont work ie wont slip through the potID.in that case just smash the pot flues and ther mortared surrounds out back to a brick flue space.

youl need 6" space all round an a 12" solid hearth in front of the burner.

dont DIY install this without views from a HETAS.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Yep I’ve got my sweep/hetas ready to assist after I’ve opened it out ready. It’s a 7” ID but still very tight with the bend after the pots. Pretty tricky to knock out the pots as you have to stick your arm up.

Any other tips to make it easier?

Thanks

screwfix do a 18" long,thin steel chisel. someoneelse does a longer one - google.
once youve cracked a bit of the pot open the rest should come out easy unlesthe whole 3 lengths have been embedded in sand an cement. then its a case of openin up some brickwork at the flue bend.

wear glasses an gloves.if soot come down put on a mask.
clear all that rubble away as you work

After chiselling away and not making much progress I eventually gave up and knocked down the chimney breast. I was glad that I made this choice as all 3 lengths were totally embedded in a concrete mix - a handle chisel would never have done it, especially with such poor access. My recommendation to anyone else in a similar situation is to start by removing a couple of bricks to see what is holding in the pot liner!

Thanks bobasd for your advice!

you opened up the first 1m of the c/breast. that was best thing to do.
sounds like the clay liners were installed as the c/breast was built in the 1970's.i thought that only the bottom exposure would be concreted in - say 3" depth. i was well wrong.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back