Supporting sleepers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Looking for some help with supporting sleepers

I've split the garden into 2 levels and am using sleepers narrowest side on the ground stacked 2 high they are around 2 metres long either side of the stairs.

Its holding back 400mm of soil my plan is to use concrete Spurs to hold them in place but not sure what sort of spacing to have between the posts

Laying the sleepers on a bed of mot 1

Also what would be the norm for drainage/backfill for something relatively small like this?

Sponsored Links
Space the posts to suit joints. So if using 2.4m sleepers place posts at 1.2m intervals so you can easily join sleepers on the post

backfilling with a few inches of 20mm clean gravel is fine

DSC_0007_2.JPG
DSC_0008_1.JPG
IMG-20160420-WA0006.jpg
IMG-20160619-WA0000.jpg
I'm sure you've done this project now, but thought I'd upload pics of a similar project I've just completed. I used 4ft 4x4 posts concreted into groun. I also dug a hole inbetween each so I could hammer a piece of rebar right through all of the sleepers and into the hole when I'd finished and then fill the hole with concrete. I also used 3 galvanised brackets on each sleeper which I screwed in with coach screws. However this did mean I had to notch out the sleeper above so it sat on flush. I then stapled a damp proof membrane around the back and back filled. The final step was to drill through the lot and use a sledge hammer to get lengths of 10mm rebar through the sleepers and into the holes which I backfilled with concrete. Hopefully this will retain the soil behind for many years to come.
DSC_0007_2.JPG
DSC_0008_1.JPG
IMG-20160420-WA0006.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I have almost completed my sleepers project although my wall isnt as tall as yours.

I did however change my plan a little and went for 16mm rebar through the bottom sleeper set in concrete and then 300mm timberlock screws on the second row

I did take the advice and put some 20mm gravel behind the wall too as recommended for drainage with a dpm sheeting attached to the back of the sleepers like yours

Thanks for sharing your pictures the end product is very impressive will update when mine is finished

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back