Supporting Wall and Kitchen advice

KS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, can anyone give me a few pointers as to the best way to figure out if a wall is load-bearing or not please?
I am thinking of knocking through a doorway into a large area under a stair case in a 10year old house, I am pretty sure it is not loadbearing as it is a very short lenght of wall, with a joist running all the way over it, but wondered what are the main things to look forward.
Also, would anyone have a few pointers for fitting a 'fitted kitchen' in please? Basics really - I want to figure out what is involved to replace the units (I use the term loosely) in the kitchen now with some new ones. The kitchen is very small and would probably only get a sink housing, corner unit and an oven in there.
Many thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Just a suggestion...

Are the existing carcasses sound? If you just wish to modernise the look and style, you could just replace the worktop and door/drawer fronts?

If you want to change the layout or replace the units, B&Q offer a design service, also their units are of very good quality/value. e.g. Steel drawer sides with integral runners etc.

Can't help with the wall I'm afraid!

A wall is load bearing if your upstairs joists cross it at 90 deg. . If they run parallel (same direction) to your wall it isn't load bearing, but always check what any wall upstairs above the wall you want to remove is made of (should be a studded wall if there is one there)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back