supporting wall or not ?????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have removed a wall between the kitchen and dining room (making a large WIDE kitchen )and are now doubting whether the wall is a supporting wall or not ?? can anyone advise please .
The floor joist's ran over the said wall (WIDE TO WIDE) But went straight over the wall as it went from an outside wall straight over to the other outside wall .
So in other words the joists run from outside wall to outside wall with the wall removed inbetween .
Its hard to explain but i think you will get the gist .
Was that a supporting wall or not ????????

Sponsored Links
Are you saying that the joists rested on the wall that you removed?
ie it was acting as a central support under the full length of the beam.
If it was, then it was a supporting wall. Only calculations will tell if it was essential.
Are they sagging now?

Hi
Thanks for the quick response .
The beams are not sagging .
The beams are 7 inch by 2 inch with an 18 1/2 foot span and there are 8 beams , but one of them is running on a central wall and the room width is 9 foot total.
Your advice is very welcome .....

Typed this up below, before reading your last post ref 50x175mm joists and span of 5.64 (18ft 6ins). Can not see that they would have put in 6.0m long by 50x175.

This what I had typed.

If the over all span of the kitchen and diner now it is knocked through is max of 4.78m and the joists are min 50x225mm at 400mm centres, then you should be okay.
If they are not at least 50x225 at 400mm centres and the span is greater than 4.78, then you have serious problems.
Could also be that the joists were to long and the chippie being lazy lapped two sets of joists over the wall that you have demolished and you can not see this due to the ceiling. If this is the case, don’t go upstairs until you temporary support floors.
old un

Sponsored Links
Maximum span for 50x175mm (2x7inch) joists at 400mm (16inch) centres is 3.75mm (12 foot 4inch).
old un

Hi
Thanks for the quick response .
The room is 5.6m long .
The beams are 50 by 180 with an 5.6m span and there are 8 beams , but one of them is running on a central wall and the room width is 2.7 total.
This is the same info with metric measurements .
Do you think we have a problem ?????
Your advice is very welcome .....

Post some photos up then teen and let us have a proper look at the problem.

Are you sure that you have got your measurements right this time round.
Just to check. Span 5.6m, Joists 50x180mm.
As I do not know what grade timber your joist are, I will give you the worst scenario based on C16 Grade.
The tables do not give 50x180mm only 50x170mm and 50x195mm.
I will give you the sizes for 50x170mm C16 with dead load, more than 0.25 but not more than 0.50 KN/m2.
400mm centres 3.61m span
450mm centres 3.47m span
For 50x195mm joists.
400mm centres 4.13m span
450mm centres 3.97m span
These figures are taken from the Building Regs tables. The spans would increase if you have C24 grade timber, but as previously said do not know what grade your joists are.
Would move any furniture that is near to wall you have pulled out, push your bed away as far as possible and seek professional advice architect, structural engineer, as soon as poss.
Guidance only. old un.

But even at worst, it is salvageable.
You would need an RSJ where the wall was, and and piers at each end to support it.
Not too bad, so long as it holds up until you can do it!

What is the space between the joists?
A diagram/pictures/plan would help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back