Not likely to be a supporting wall? Just double checking!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a dividing wall in my upstairs bathroom which is single skin brick.

The bathroom is 1700x2600, the wall runs parallel to the 1700 and is 850mm in from outside wall.

The joists run same direction as wall. Nothing above it, one joist at 600 from outside wall, then another 600, so wall is roughly centreline of the void between the two joists.

Not supporting is it? The missus keep nagging me to double check!

Sponsored Links
if the wall runs parralel to the joist and nothing crosses the wall you should be ok

just be aware of any plumbing or wires that may be connected to the wall

Yeah, runs parallel to joist and no joist directly above it so can't be supporting anything.

There's a rad on it but I've removed that and will be re-routing the pipework :)

Sponsored Links
Oh, and am I supposed to get permission before I do it? The way I read our local council sites advice on building control, unless it's loadbearing or a structural feature we don't need to apply for permission.

Also, it mentions that fitting WC, bath, shower, etc needs permission? Surely this only applies when you a changing a rooms use, i.e. converting a bedroom to a bathroom, etc?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back